Photo

600 Etec stumbles after clicking up on primary clutch?

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 9formula7skidoo

9formula7skidoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Sled:2017 XRS Iron Dog 600

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:36 PM

I bumped my TRA clickers from 3 to 5 so I could recoup some extra RPM's. In doing so, I got the extra revs I somehow lost, but now when I am cruising down the trail and punch the throttle, the sled hesitates for a moment, then spikes back up to peak RPM. It's almost like when I hit the gas, it starves for fuel for a split second. It did not have this issue when the primary was on position 3. If I go back to clicker 3, I'm confident the problem will go away, but I will no longer rev out to 8100 (I was at 7800/7900 before). Is there a reason the machine might be doing this?

Edited by 9formula7skidoo, 06 February 2017 - 09:48 PM.

"Dual Quad-Bangers"

IMG_2454_zps9heisztc.jpg

#2 Tneave7

Tneave7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sled:05 600ho mxz

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:38 PM

Just got off mine and it's doing the same thing, I've only owned the etec for about 300 miles, the previous owner had the belt riding way high in the secondary and the sled ran great but the belt bothered me... I put a new belt on and dropped the belt in the secondary it hit the Rev limit all the time... really weird I have a 2013 600etec....

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

#3 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 13,857 posts
  • Sled:2007 MXZ Renegade 1000 SDI

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:43 PM

Is it starving for gas at that RPM?

<p><span style="font-size:14px;"><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.dootalk.c...tec-dial-a-jet/'>ETEC Dial-A-Jet</a></span>

#4 9formula7skidoo

9formula7skidoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:53 PM

Is it starving for gas at that RPM?

I'm not sure. Although I would guess not. If it was starving for fuel at that RPM with the clickers on 5, wouldn't it have starved for fuel with the clickers on 3? I think it's clutching related. This happened on my 2016 600 last year also. I installed DJM's clutch kit (OEM parts) and it did the same thing, but I sold the machine before I could remedy it.

Edited by 9formula7skidoo, 07 February 2017 - 01:54 PM.

"Dual Quad-Bangers"

IMG_2454_zps9heisztc.jpg

#5 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 13,857 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:18 PM

I'm not sure. Although I would guess not. If it was starving for fuel at that RPM with the clickers on 5, wouldn't it have starved for fuel with the clickers on 3? I think it's clutching related. This happened on my 2016 600 last year also. I installed DJM's DJ's or Dynamo^Joe's clutch kit (OEM parts) and it did the same thing, but I sold the machine before I could remedy it.

A change in clicker will also change the throttle position for a given rpm. Since ECM calculates load with the RPM and Throttle Position, a change in clicker will change the amount of fuel supplied to the combustion, hence the change the Air/Fuel ratio. I am sure you have read of folks clutching around a problem area. As the clickers are raised, the RPM rises for the same throttle position. To clutch around a problem area such as the zoomies which is a lack of pipe temp, a change is made in the clutching that requires more throttle to get more fuel input.

Fuel = Power

By the way it is DJ. DJM is another member on DooTalk.

<p><span style="font-size:14px;"><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.dootalk.c...tec-dial-a-jet/'>ETEC Dial-A-Jet</a></span>

#6 isthatahemi

isthatahemi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Sled:2014 MXZ 1200X

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:06 PM

I bumped my TRA clickers from 3 to 5 so I could recoup some extra RPM's. In doing so, I got the extra revs I somehow lost, but now when I am cruising down the trail and punch the throttle, the sled hesitates for a moment, then spikes back up to peak RPM. It's almost like when I hit the gas, it starves for fuel for a split second. It did not have this issue when the primary was on position 3. If I go back to clicker 3, I'm confident the problem will go away, but I will no longer rev out to 8100 (I was at 7800/7900 before). Is there a reason the machine might be doing this?

Exact same issue here, clickers on 5... on 3 or 4 the rpm's were less than 8100 and the throttle was linear, but now the throttle response is wonky at higher speeds.
In other news, I get 12mpg and a belt lasts 600 miles of TRAIL riding, a little disappointed at the moment.

#7 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 13,857 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:37 AM

Exact same issue here, clickers on 5... on 3 or 4 the rpm's were less than 8100 and the throttle was linear, but now the throttle response is wonky at higher speeds.
In other news, I get 12mpg and a belt lasts 600 miles of TRAIL riding, a little disappointed at the moment.

Keep a close eye on the topics for the 800 ETECs. Same principals apply.

http://www.dootalk.c...es-carbon-belt/

#8 9formula7skidoo

9formula7skidoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:05 AM

A change in clicker will also change the throttle position for a given rpm. Since ECM calculates load with the RPM and Throttle Position, a change in clicker will change the amount of fuel supplied to the combustion, hence the change the Air/Fuel ratio. I am sure you have read of folks clutching around a problem area. As the clickers are raised, the RPM rises for the same throttle position. To clutch around a problem area such as the zoomies which is a lack of pipe temp, a change is made in the clutching that requires more throttle to get more fuel input.

Fuel = Power

By the way it is DJ. DJM is another member on DooTalk.

That sounds like EXACTLY what is happening. And I know who Dynamo Joe (DJ) is. I took DJM's advice and installed all new OEM Ski-doo parts and produced my own clutch kit. I just called it the "DJM" kit.

"Dual Quad-Bangers"

IMG_2454_zps9heisztc.jpg

#9 auto

auto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Interests:Supermoto back road riding Bass Fishing
  • Sled:2012 Rev XP 800 Etec black X

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:05 PM

worn and/or loose belt will give you that feeling. new carbon belt run on the slightly tight side and I bet your rpms will be back. the only good compromise for acceleration and backshifting is # 3, if your 600 was clutched from the factory like my 800. if you lost rpm, there's probably a reason, adjusting the clickers is just putting a bandaid on it, you're not fixing the problem. OK short term, but you're losing performance in the long run.

#10 isthatahemi

isthatahemi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:57 PM

It's not that's simple, you act as if the clutching is spot on from the factory, it's not, and a belt change doesn't fix that. Also, why are pretending that the sled will run consistently? They don't! Freezing cold day, it might pull full RPM, warm day with low atmospheric pressure, and your 500 rpms down. The OEM clutching is compromised, as mileage is a big factor. The 600c carb, SDI, or ETEC, all run better on clicker #4......and the point is that perhaps one must stop there, #5 it feels like an animal at low to midrange, the throttle response gets all wonky, that is the issue.....

Edited by isthatahemi, 08 February 2017 - 02:59 PM.

#11 isthatahemi

isthatahemi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:59 PM

And position 3 is a compromise of back shifting and rpm, for mileage, it's not like it's a happy medium, it's a straight up lower performance setup, period.

#12 auto

auto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Interests:Supermoto back road riding Bass Fishing
  • Sled:2012 Rev XP 800 Etec black X

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:44 PM

you're right,it is a compromise, but it's the best one if you have stock clutching. my point was if you had good rpm, then somehow lost it not due to temp or conditions, there's probably something going on.

#13 isthatahemi

isthatahemi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:56 PM

No sir mine is new, and the last 600 I owned, and the 3 my buddy has gone through all run a lot less than optimal on 3, and way better on 4, and at all speeds under 80mph, 5 is even more responsive still.
No offence, but I'm going to assume your primary current (or past) sled is not a 600 doo, as the information you are posting is not correct. And if I'm wrong about that, I am sure it's not an X pack with the digital tach.

Edited by isthatahemi, 08 February 2017 - 03:58 PM.

#14 9formula7skidoo

9formula7skidoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:23 PM

I'm going to click back down to number three and throw on a new 417300288 belt on and try again. 

"Dual Quad-Bangers"

IMG_2454_zps9heisztc.jpg

#15 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 13,857 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

That sounds like EXACTLY what is happening. And I know who Dynamo Joe (DJ) is. I took DJM's advice and installed all new OEM Ski-doo parts and produced my own clutch kit. I just called it the "DJM" kit.

You get can the injectors flow tested, or try running Seafoam, or try the ETEC Dial-A-Jet. My apologies for the DJ/DJM mixup. Two great guys who know their stuff ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users