#1 Columbo

Columbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Sled:2009 Renegade 800r X

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:05 PM

So on my way back from northern NH last weekend I stopped to fuel up the truck and noticed that the station sold non-ethanol 91 octane gas. As this is hard to find in NH and since I had a couple extra gas cans I got 10 gallons for one of my sleds back at home. I'm always careful with gas from unfamiliar stations so I poured a little into a clear jar before fueling the sled. I was surprised at the color, it's a distinct amber/green and doesn't look like any gasoline I've ever seen. Is this common in non-ethanol gas?

Attached Files

Edited by Columbo, 11 January 2017 - 01:06 PM.

#2 kmc

kmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Sled:04 GSX SDI HO

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

Other than gas with a very high sulfur content (which I don't think you'd find anywhere anymore), I think any color you see are dyes that are added for easy identification.   This would be similar to what they do to kerosene and diesel now to ID the taxes and uses.   The non-E premium I used to get was a distinctive pink color.

#3 99 grand touring

99 grand touring

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Sledding, biking, guitar, cutting firewood.
  • Sled:1999 Ski Doo Grand Touring 500

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:41 PM

Yes it is. Also, anything with ethanol CAN and WILL mess up fuel injectors if you have them. It's not good for an engine

#4 syracusestars37

syracusestars37

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Interests:Moto, sledding
  • Sled:07 XRS SDI ; 15 Freeride 137

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:27 PM

Yes it is. Also, anything with ethanol CAN and WILL mess up fuel injectors if you have them. It's not good for an engine

Care to elaborate on this? Ethanol is very attractive to moisture, which is why if it sits for long periods of time it creates a problem. It also requires more ethanol to balance a combustion equation which is why sleds that are on the edge with pump gas have issues when ethanol is introduced and the fuel content is not increased. I'm not sure how an injector would fail from ethanol?

#5 RyanWall

RyanWall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Sledding, Cars, Bikes, Boats, Backyard Mechanics
  • Sled:2015 Renegade X 600

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

Lol, in the Ottawa Ontario area, basically all gas has up to 10%  ethanol in it. Our cars, trucks, and sleds, all of which are fuel injected run just fine and have for decades. 

Current: 2015 Renegade X 600 etec

Past Sleds: 2008 800r 137 extension with renegade cooler swap

2004 MXZ 500ss

:RevDude:

#6 99 grand touring

99 grand touring

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:30 PM

Care to elaborate on this? Ethanol is very attractive to moisture, which is why if it sits for long periods of time it creates a problem. It also requires more ethanol to balance a combustion equation which is why sleds that are on the edge with pump gas have issues when ethanol is introduced and the fuel content is not increased. I'm not sure how an injector would fail from ethanol?

Great example here.. My aunts old truck had injectors and she used gas with ethanol in it. The ethanol gummed up the injectors and basically destroyed her engine by the time she gave up and bought a new one. Do some research on it, ethanol is NOT good for fuel injectors.

I only use shell v power premium.

Edited by 99 grand touring, 11 January 2017 - 02:30 PM.

#7 99 grand touring

99 grand touring

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

Lol, in the Ottawa Ontario area, basically all gas has up to 10%  ethanol in it. Our cars, trucks, and sleds, all of which are fuel injected run just fine and have for decades. 

I doubt everyones vehicle has fuel injection. Also, read what I said above and do some research. Gummed up injectors are no fun...

#8 syracusestars37

syracusestars37

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Interests:Moto, sledding
  • Sled:07 XRS SDI ; 15 Freeride 137

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

Great example here.. My aunts old truck had injectors and she used gas with ethanol in it. The ethanol gummed up the injectors and basically destroyed her engine by the time she gave up and bought a new one. Do some research on it, ethanol is NOT good for fuel injectors.

How does ethanol gum up an injector in a car? Any modern engine would go into limp mode if the injectors were clogged due to ecu increasing injector pulsewidths without seeing the change in o2 sensor read outs. I dont buy it.

I left e60 in an alternative fuel turbo doo for a four month stint in a very humid area. Yes, the injectors were starting to rust a bit with the rail, but thats outside of the fuel delivery area, it would not of been able to get into the nozzle.

Ethanol being bad for engines is such a common misconception. Many high horse power applications use ethanol, they are however running probably 2x as much fuel as they would be if it were straight gasoline.

#9 Airliner9

Airliner9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, hunting, 4-wheeling, sledding and breaking things a little.
  • Sled:2011 Expedition Sport

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

So on my way back from northern NH last weekend I stopped to fuel up the truck and noticed that the station sold non-ethanol 91 octane gas. As this is hard to find in NH and since I had a couple extra gas cans I got 10 gallons for one of my sleds back at home. I'm always careful with gas from unfamiliar stations so I poured a little into a clear jar before fueling the sled. I was surprised at the color, it's a distinct amber/green and doesn't look like any gasoline I've ever seen. Is this common in non-ethanol gas?

Only way to be sure is by a taste.....non-ethanol gas is dryer on the palette and a slightly less smoky bouquet with just a hint of  spice.

#10 Columbo

Columbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Sled:2009 Renegade 800r X

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

Airliner.... Funny! Girlfriend might give me an odd look if I take a wine glass into the garage tonight!

#11 99 grand touring

99 grand touring

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:51 PM

How does ethanol gum up an injector in a car? Any modern engine would go into limp mode if the injectors were clogged due to ecu increasing injector pulsewidths without seeing the change in o2 sensor read outs. I dont buy it.

I left e60 in an alternative fuel turbo doo for a four month stint in a very humid area. Yes, the injectors were starting to rust a bit with the rail, but thats outside of the fuel delivery area, it would not of been able to get into the nozzle.

Ethanol being bad for engines is such a common misconception. Many high horse power applications use ethanol, they are however running probably 2x as much fuel as they would be if it were straight gasoline.

Again.. Do some research. Also, who wastes their time with a vehicle full of computers? Those cost more to fix than they're worth. Ethanol is a cheap additive. 

#12 ray_d_eightor

ray_d_eightor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Sled:2011 MXZ TNT

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:56 PM

Can't comment on the color but there are simple ways to check for ethanol in gasoline - google search will turn up several.

#13 BriskyD

BriskyD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts
  • Sled:2012 XR, 2015 ACE 900

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:17 PM

To the op, that is the color of 91 ethanol free here in western NY too. Looks very similar.

X2, ethanol does not gum up injectors or every car on the road would be in trouble. Ethanol fuel may cause injector problems if it sits for months at a time without ever being started. 995 out of 1000 cars on the road are fuel injected.

Again.. Do some research. Also, who wastes their time with a vehicle full of computers? Those cost more to fix than they're worth. Ethanol is a cheap additive. 

A vehicle full of computers? 995 out of 1000 vehicles on the road have an ecm. Perhaps i'll just scrap the car next time the check engine light comes on. 

Edited by BriskyD, 11 January 2017 - 03:17 PM.

#14 Forged

Forged

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Sled:2013 600 RS, 2015 600 RS

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

The non ethanol that I see is white...clear.

#15 Renegade85

Renegade85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Sled:05 Renegade 600

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:36 PM

I know that ethanol destroys my carburetors more than fuel injectors. Have owned several fuel injected cars/trucks (since they have all been since the late 80's), sleds, boat motors, etc. Shell V power premium now has ethanol in it too. Unless I'm willing to pay $5/gal for fuel in everything I own I deal with ethanol. Not saying that it is good or I like it, but it's here to stay sadly....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users