#1 mainegearhead

mainegearhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Sled:08 GadeX 600SDI & (2) 09 TNT 600 ETEC's

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

I have two 2009's and 2008.  All 600's.  My X package has the toggle and return type of switch for hand/throttle warmers.  They have worn and fall out.  Has someone come up with a solution for this other than a whole new expensive control?

I was thinking I might be able to glue a toggle type handle to it.  Right now I put the switch in, set it, then put back the switch back in my pocket.  It works, but I would rather be able to adjust a bit easier.

I have looked around for recoil rope/cord and I think I need #7 or 7/32" size.  Can someone confirm the best size rope/cord to buy for the recoil?  We broke one last night while out riding so I want to refresh two of them and only one machine had a rope in the tool kit to use as a backup (at least one of them did!) so I want to add some to the other two tool kits.  The third one has e-start so doesnt get used.

#2 CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,244 posts
  • Sled:**Starting to be Too Many**

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

http://www.dootalk.c...switch-console/

http://www.dootalk.c...her-bulb-topic/

http://www.dootalk.c...-lights-update/

not sure if this will help you or not.....just a thought

As for the emergency rope, not sure how close you are to your dealer, but I'd bet he has some of them in a drawer as extras. 

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress: but I repeat myself"-Mark Twain 

#3 mainegearhead

mainegearhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:50 PM

Those links dont solve this problem, but I do like the idea.  My yellow switch covers are worn out and dont stay in.  It appears I cannot buy new ones.  I am trying to figure that out.

I was thinking of just buying a hundred feet or so of cord to do two snowmobiles, one pressure washer, two emergency cords, a backup recoil rebuild, etc...

#4 CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,244 posts
  • Sled:**Starting to be Too Many**

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:15 PM

I didn't re-read those threads. Thought when I read them years ago there was a post about fixing broken switch covers. 

As the rope goes, I believe the e-start rope is smaller than the recoil rope. I've seen recoil rope on ebay that was the real deal. It is a specially designed rope just for that purpose.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress: but I repeat myself"-Mark Twain 

#5 mainegearhead

mainegearhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:22 PM

I used the emergency rope last night.  The way it works I conclude anything will work for that.  It was my first time having to do it and I never tried it out before.  I could tear up a jacket and make it work, or tie a bunch of socks together.  These 600 ETEC's start so easy, especially once hot, that it doesn't take much effort.

I find it is hard to measure the cord diameter so I am trying to figure out what size it is.

As for the switch, another thought is I put the switch in, then glue or tape something flexible over it so it will stay in, but still be able to be toggled.  Unfortunately I lost one of them, but I still have one.

#6 mbret2004

mbret2004

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes, exercise of any type, cars, small engines, my kids, home improvement projects, volunteer work, my faith.
  • Sled:2015 XR 1200

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

A fender washer under your switch panel and a toggle switch that is threaded and mounts with jamnuts. Search google.

https://www.google.c...s&client=safari

Edited by mbret2004, 11 January 2017 - 03:56 PM.

USAF, Ret, E-8
1979-2004

#7 mainegearhead

mainegearhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

I guess I may just have to do that if I want it to work coveniently and not spend the money on a new skidoo switch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users