Stickdude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Everything outdoors
  • Sled:Double Tracks & Skandics

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

2013 SWT, 2200 miles, putting along, not working hard, no warnings (none noticed at least), engine dies as though it ran out of gas. Did a restart and it started but ran poorly for about 30 feet, died. Engine siezed. Got it home the next day, stripped it down enough to look in the spark plug holes and exhaust. Nothing obvious yet. RAVEs move a little so they appear to be free. Some very light scoring on the PTO side piston. Tops of the pistons look OK but I have a very cheap scope and cannot get good view or resolution.

My thought now are to pull the engine out of the sled before taking top end off. Manual says if I take off the  RAVE Link Bar 'B.U.D.S needs to be used to set the position. My expertise on these motors is limited. I should probably take the motor to someone who knows what they are doing. Just throwing this out there while I continue to diagnose. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 Stickdude

Stickdude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:34 PM

20170111_101516.jpg Update: Air bubbles in both MAG and PTO side oil injection lines.

Is this a problem?

How does air get in there?

#3 skof

skof

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Sled:2015 GT 600ACE, Polaris

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

cap not venting properly??

#4 Stickdude

Stickdude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

I don't see a vent mechanism in this cap.

Attached Images

• 20170111_110734.jpg

#5 Newfiebullett

Newfiebullett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, bikes, birds and sometimes fishing.
  • Sled:Expedition LE 900

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

If the cap wasn't venting it would collapse the oil bottle, not cause air bubbles, IMO.

I'm not familiar with ETEC's and the causes of seizures, but in some sleds if they're turned on their side you can get an air lock in the oil lines, and they'll need to be bled to clear them up.

#6 Stickdude

Stickdude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:16 PM

I had turned the sled over on its side on a recent previous trip. Probable put less than 50 miles on since that. In previous years I had turned the sled over several times learning to ride the beast. Could have just been lucky until this last tipover.

What is the bleed procedure?

#7 Newfiebullett

Newfiebullett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, bikes, birds and sometimes fishing.
  • Sled:Expedition LE 900

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

I had turned the sled over on its side on a recent previous trip. Probable put less than 50 miles on since that. In previous years I had turned the sled over several times learning to ride the beast. Could have just been lucky until this last tipover.

What is the bleed procedure?

Someone else will have to chime in on that one, I'm not even sure if the air locked oil lines is an issue with the etecs, just going off the last 2-stroke I had, which was a '12 Cat. Even with that one, turning it on it's side was only an issue if it was for a long time, such as doing repair work in the shop, so if yours was on it's side during a trip, I doubt it would've made much difference. But who knows? I'm sure some of the etec experts can help you.

#8 Stickdude

Stickdude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

Apparently the cap does not vent. There is a separate vent line with check valve. It appears to be working fine

#9 Stickdude

Stickdude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:07 PM

Someone else will have to chime in on that one, I'm not even sure if the air locked oil lines is an issue with the etecs, just going off the last 2-stroke I had, which was a '12 Cat. Even with that one, turning it on it's side was only an issue if it was for a long time, such as doing repair work in the shop, so if yours was on it's side during a trip, I doubt it would've made much difference. But who knows? I'm sure some of the etec experts can help you.

I hope so. I still cannot identify the source of the seizure nor am I sure the air bubbles caused the problem. 

#10 Mccrank

Mccrank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Sled:expedition 600 etec 2012

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:29 PM

Do you have a picture of your piston? I expect to have the same problem as you on mag side and after reading your post i take a look at my sled and i have air in those oil line too.

#11 snowslammer

snowslammer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Sled:440x racing rev

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:42 PM

Should be no air in those lines, The old style pumps have a bleeder screw on them for a reason. air=burndown. I am not sure how you would have got air in them like that unless you ran the oil tank empty, or had the tank really low on oil and the sled was on it side for sometime?

I have a 2013 I will see if I can get a pic of mine for you.

Edited by snowslammer, 12 January 2017 - 10:42 PM.

#12 Stickdude

Stickdude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:27 AM

Do you have a picture of your piston? I expect to have the same problem as you on mag side and after reading your post i take a look at my sled and i have air in those oil line too.

I don't. I'll try to get a decent pic later today.

#13 Stickdude

Stickdude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:32 AM

Should be no air in those lines, The old style pumps have a bleeder screw on them for a reason. air=burndown. I am not sure how you would have got air in them like that unless you ran the oil tank empty, or had the tank really low on oil and the sled was on it side for sometime?

I have a 2013 I will see if I can get a pic of mine for you.

Apparently the only way to bleed these is with B.U.D.S. There is no bleeder screw. The pump is electronic and controlled by the ECM, as you probably know. I have never ran my oil tank low, I keep it topped off. Whenever I tip the sled over I upright it as soon as I get myself right side up.lol

I don't have a way to test the oil pump, perhaps it failed.

#14 newfiebullet

newfiebullet

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 772 posts
  • Interests:Sled, Bike, Fishing, Hunting, Cabin....My Kids
    All sports
  • Sled:2008 Renagade 146, 2.5 camo, S-36 pkg

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:51 AM

I was always told anytime you have the engine out you should run the summerize mode 4-5 times , this injects oil into the engine, people do this to get all the air out of the line.
I realize you never had your engine out but I have been told this works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Women might be able to fake orgasms. But men can fake a whole relationship"

Link to Cain's Quest- Canada's longest snowmobile endurance race
http://cainsquest.com/

2008 renagade 800r stretched to 146
2.5 camo extreme
S-36 pkg
DJ clutching and DJ Ramps
22/49 Gearing
8" C&A'S MTX

#15 Stickdude

Stickdude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:48 AM

I was always told anytime you have the engine out you should run the summerize mode 4-5 times , this injects oil into the engine, people do this to get all the air out of the line.
I realize you never had your engine out but I have been told this works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'm still trying to figure out how the air got in. The bubble is only about an inch long and trapped right at two of the four outlets at the pump, which would be the high point in those two lines. I've read some stuff about lower end seal failures and trying to imagine how might affect air in lines, if at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users