35 replies to this topic

#1 613doo

613doo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Sled:Mxz 600 h.o adrenaline

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

Im looking ay buying a second sled to be my main traik sled. I had the opportunity to ride a 1200 renegade and pretty much fell in love with the power and delivery as well as the longer 137 track. My main question; is it worth getting a 2013 and up for r-motion or is any 1200 renegade pretty much the same? All info appreciated! I can find lots of pre-2013 but not much 2013 and up on the used market.

#2 Judge64

Judge64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling
    Boating
    Traveling
  • Sled:2017 Enduro 900 and 2016 Enduro 900

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:45 PM

Personally, I think rMotion is worth it. 

I went from a 2005 REV to a 2013 TNT a few years ago and could tell the difference as a trail rider. I am now on an Enduro and the combination of the 137" length, rMotion and AirRide made it a pretty sweet trail ride. It handles the stutter bumps really well.

#3 conniver

conniver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Racing and Snowmobiling.
  • Sled:2016 MXZX 1200 129

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:56 PM

I would get the r-motion. Have a friend that didn't and he rode mine and went and bought the skid and retrofit his.

#4 KnappAttack

KnappAttack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  • Sled:2014 XR1200/GadeX, MCX turbo, Slicast

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:00 PM

Im looking ay buying a second sled to be my main traik sled. I had the opportunity to ride a 1200 renegade and pretty much fell in love with the power and delivery as well as the longer 137 track. My main question; is it worth getting a 2013 and up for r-motion or is any 1200 renegade pretty much the same? All info appreciated! I can find lots of pre-2013 but not much 2013 and up on the used market.

Absolutely worth it! R-Motion is worth ever penny and your back and neck will thank you!

The SC-5 is good, but R-motion is the real deal and that much better, smother ride and less prone to bottoming. I prefer the remote adjust on the running boards as I use the dampening adjust thru out a ride depending on conditions. I never use the spring adjuster on the board though.

#5 Allen Avram

Allen Avram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Sled:2005 Mach Z, 2007 renegade 1000 twin

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

I have a 2012 renegade, anyone willing to share their knowledge to do installation of R motion, sounds like a great upgrade...

#6 sleddingfarmer

sleddingfarmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,354 posts
  • Sled:'10 1200X

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:24 PM

I have a 2012 renegade, anyone willing to share their knowledge to do installation of R motion, sounds like a great upgrade...

Find a renegade with Rmotion and measure the distance back from a set point to the suspension bolt mounts.

On the short tracks and 129, the front bolt goes forward and up a little. The rear bolt is easy, just buy the mounting bracket for the Rmotion skid and the mount goes in the exact same spot. Piece of cake. I suspect the renegade swap will be just as easy

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#7 xtreme747

xtreme747

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • Interests:Anything with a motor . Gym . UFC . Hanging out with the Family .
  • Sled:2015 - X package - 1200 Short track

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:13 PM

If you ride an R motion sled you will never go back . They are amazing. After long rides you are much fresher and no sharp jars that you feel the next day . You will regret not getting it .

#8 Powaton

Powaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Sled:2011 TNT E-tec 600

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:30 PM

Quick thoughts.

I've had Polaris Extra10, Extra12, m10, sc5, r-motion and now polaris axys. I've modified and swapped shocks and springs on all of them, made my own suspension at one point and even had that weird long travel kit sold by "snow stuff" in the 90s.

R motion is good. But an sc5 with dual rate center shock spring and good shocks/valving is just as good in most cases. I swaped to an R-motion and wasn't happy until I got shocks similar to what I had in my sc5.

So in my opinion, a built sc5 is better than stock r motion. At least in "X" or TNT trim. But a built R-motion is better than a built sc5. But not by a huge amount.

I've ridden stock axys "s" and stock R-motion "x" back to back. They are both very good. I Bottomed both and would re spring/ revalve both. If your over 200 pounds or ride hard. The Axys needs pro x or hygear springs and revalve. I like the axys better for weight transfer fun. It's fun to pull wheelies over hills and the axys does that better than r motion. Stock polaris front suspension is a class better than stock ski doo front, in my opinion.

With fresh shocks and setup, I thought the extra 12 and m10 were great.

Niether were super at weight transfer and the extra 12 was heavy, prone to bind in the linkeage and both are sensitive to setup more so than all the modern skids. But when it all clicked, they rode as good as "modern."

People say great things about m20 airwave and all the super cool mountain skids are built with m10 type geometry but with longer center shock arms.

Cat skid is not world's behind and cats front end is better.

R-motion is the best stock skid for ride, but the Axys is only a very very thin hair behind and the Axys is more fun. Cat is another notch behind, but not as far as you would think. Cat can also take a brutal pounding and has a wide window of decent ride for different weight.

Ski doo "x" seat is the best and plays a big roll in the sit down ride quality.

End rant!

Edited by Powaton, 10 January 2017 - 08:33 PM.

#9 preppypyro

preppypyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Sled:2011 gsx 1200, 2010 renegade 1200

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:35 PM

I must be the odd man out.

I rode both while I was looking for used sleds for the wife and I. I didnt notice a difference in our style of riding anywhere near enough to say that a 13 and up is a "must".

I was testing each one as a total newbie to the 4 stroke sleds at the time, and would have set my goals on one or the other if I felt it was worth it, and I did not.

I dont strictly trail ride at all though, little of my sledding is done on groomed trails, so maybe thats where the difference is noticed the most. On the river and the ungroomed trails and fields that I tried both on, they both rode great, and one never stood out as superior at all, over the other.

#10 ntjordan

ntjordan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Sled:1200 Renegade, 900 ACE Renegade

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:14 PM

If you spend any substantial amount of time on groomed trails.....say 50% or more... it's definitely worth it. Hit a trail mid day on a busy weekend when it's stutter bumps and whoops and you'll see the difference. 

#11 BarkBender

BarkBender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
  • Sled:Bomb groomer / undecided for sled

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:26 PM

Just my opinion ...  R motion stock to SC5 stock on 120" chassis = big difference ... on a Renegade ? not so much.... especially if R motion has the crap springs.

:smile_old:

#12 KnappAttack

KnappAttack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  • Sled:2014 XR1200/GadeX, MCX turbo, Slicast

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

Just my opinion ...  R motion stock to SC5 stock on 120" chassis = big difference ... on a Renegade ? not so much.... especially if R motion has the crap springs.

I went from good setup SC-5 in the 09 Gade to a 14 Gade with R-motion and my back and neck say there's a big gain going to the R-motion!!!

I remember I rode my buds 2013 800 with R-motion and I thought whats the bid to do about r-Motion, he however had it setup for his weight and he has a few lbs on me.

When I got the 14 R-Motion and set it up for my weight I thought I had died and went to heaven! Its like riding on a cloud and much better at keeping the skis down too.

After set the 14 R-Motion up for me, I saw what the big to do was all about. And you forget how good the R-Motion really is until you jump on another machine with a different suspension under it too.

#13 BREAKAWAY300

BREAKAWAY300

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:sleds boats wheelers horses
  • Sled:2014 freeride 800r 2014 renegade x

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:04 PM

r motion is very good... but it has to be set up for your weight/riding style.. Most guys set there suspension to hard...I like to set it soft and tune it up as I go.. Works for me... but if set up right its buttery smooth :smile_old:

#14 613doo

613doo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Sled:Mxz 600 h.o adrenaline

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:18 PM

I have always ridden fast and agressive, I though I had slowed down, but I think im just learning how to be a faster smoother rider. With that increased speed I want bottomless smooth suspension, nothing harsh and chassis jarring if you will. I will 100% ride groomed trails with this 1200, at least thats the plan. Any off trail will be for fun, in other words im looking for the best at trail riding without caring if it affects off trail performance.

The renegade I drove was a 2011, setup for a lighter weight than me and it felt great except for some initial harshness on deep dips (between an abrupt downhill to uphill transition), is the R going to smooth these out and is it ultimately going to help the handling at agressive trail riding? So far im leaning R-motion, wish I could ride both back to back...

#15 tic

tic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,286 posts
  • Interests:sleds, motorcycles, boats, flying, skiing
  • Sled:13/ GSX-SE 1200

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:51 PM

I rode an r-motion shorty and was happy to get back on my 137' with air ride and SC5. The shorty didn't beat me up but I didn't have a "gee wow" experience. I didn't ask about the settings and the guy had some lbs. on me so probably not a fair comparison. I also didn't ride it in demanding trail conditions. Most everything these days rides smooth on a groomed trail. Of course I WISH I had r-motion on my GSX-SE but not enough to consider a retro fit. I've yet to ride ANY sled that makes me feel like I'm riding on a cloud on a whooped out trail or stutter bumps. I'd like to see about double the travel in rear suspensions than what we have now. I know the r-motion has more travel than the SC5 and I'm sure those few inches make a difference but I want MORE. One thing I did that really helped my suspension was add the mainway solutions greased bushing kits. I now have 12 zerks in the skid, it's smoother, more compliant and operates with out hitching, freezing up or sacking out.. Of course the X-package center shock and Fox float rear don't hurt the ride either!

Edited by tic, 10 January 2017 - 10:52 PM.

QUOTE (wreckless @ Dec 29 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just because someone makes their sled loud doesn't mean trails are closing. I can make my sled as loud as i want to. I'm half tempted to run the loudest set of pipes I can just to irritate people

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users