31 replies to this topic

#1 Skizim

Skizim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Sled:2015 1200x Renegade

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:36 PM

I finally got some miles on this weekend!  I have a new PB80 clutch and secondary spring and helix that are outstanding!!  I had excellent traction where  I was and had the skis in the air at will.  I thought that I might have to pull the strap up another notch but when I was going through the twists and turns the steering seemed heavy.  I did have my two up seat on and a passenger so I suppose that contributed to the traction and ski lift but I don't understand the heavy steering in tight turns.  Are there any simple adjustments I can make to lighten up the steering? Or just ride it some more?  I do realize that snow conditions can make for different steering problems as well.  any thoughts?

#2 BarkBender

BarkBender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts
  • Sled:Bomb groomer / undecided for sled

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:43 PM

List what you have for track / traction and carbide set up.

:smile_old:

#3 ncapster

ncapster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,386 posts
  • Sled:15 Renegade X 1200

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

Put the limiter strap back to the stock / longest setting. I tried just the stockers in the center and it steered relatively light and the push wasn't too bad either. But the skis were getting ruined without the outer carbides. So I went back to my previous best which is Woody's 4" in the center on the larger 1/2" diameter host bar which keeps the stockers on the outside higher up out of the snow. I still have some brand new Doolys I have yet to try.

#4 Skizim

Skizim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:20 PM

137" track with 144 studs down the middle (woodys) I run 7.5" shapers down the middle with 6" bars on the outside. stock track. I think all of the shock settings are in the middle. I never got a chance last year to really set up the suspension. I also put in heavier sag springs. I weigh 275 with out gear and I do run two up once in a while.

#5 ncapster

ncapster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,386 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:33 PM

Large host bar aftermarket carbides in both spots + the centers are Shapers? No wonder it steers heavy... Try some round 1/2" bars in the center and the small square host bar stockers on the outsides... 

#6 ncapster

ncapster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,386 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:37 PM

I finally got some miles on this weekend!  I have a new PB80 clutch and secondary spring and helix that are outstanding!!  I had excellent traction where  I was and had the skis in the air at will.  I thought that I might have to pull the strap up another notch but when I was going through the twists and turns the steering seemed heavy.  I did have my two up seat on and a passenger so I suppose that contributed to the traction and ski lift but I don't understand the heavy steering in tight turns.  Are there any simple adjustments I can make to lighten up the steering? Or just ride it some more?  I do realize that snow conditions can make for different steering problems as well.  any thoughts?

You can tighten the center shock spring a good 1/4"+ but you will sacrifice some front arm ride quality.

Edited by ncapster, 10 January 2017 - 03:37 PM.

#7 Skizim

Skizim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:45 PM

I put longer shapers to prevent any push. I figured with more weight up front it is more to get it to turn.(still figuring this 1200 out over an 800)

#8 ncapster

ncapster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,386 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:42 PM

I put longer shapers to prevent any push. I figured with more weight up front it is more to get it to turn.(still figuring this 1200 out over an 800)

I to went from a string of 800s to the 1200. Here's a few tips:

1. Go with a less aggressive carbide set-up.

Whatever carbide set-up you ran on your past 2-strokes go with a less aggressive set-up on your new 4-stroke. With the heftier engine up front there's naturally " plenty " of ski bite and they don't need aggressive aftermarket carbides to turn well like 2 strokes do, yes even if you stud it.

2. Run your belt loser.

With the gobs of low end torque on tap you don't have to worry about having your belt adjusted super high for a good take off. In fact if you are the type that used to adjust your 2-stroke's belt so the track would creep slightly you will have reverse issues (grinding) if you adjust your new 4-stroke's belt the same way. The jackshaft will start spinning before the reverse gear engages and grind. Bottom of the valleys flush with the sheave is plenty tight.

3. Ride with a steadier thumb.

Don't let off completely when you want to slow down, just back of slightly, this will keep engine braking to a minimum. Also don't blip the throttle on the low end. This way you'll avoid the surge.

#9 Bestia

Bestia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Sled:2009 GSX 1200 Limited

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:52 PM

137" track with 144 studs down the middle (woodys) I run 7.5" shapers down the middle with 6" bars on the outside. stock track. I think all of the shock settings are in the middle. I never got a chance last year to really set up the suspension. I also put in heavier sag springs. I weigh 275 with out gear and I do run two up once in a while.

Bingo!  I put on 7.5 shapers on last season and my steering felt crazy heavy with the settings I had.  I now I run my front springs at the softest setting and my center spring at 4/5.  Now my steering feels good.

#10 Kbar

Kbar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Sled:2017 MXZ X 1200

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

I used shapers in the center on my pilot ski's for 1 season and no way could I adjust it to ride aggressively without it grabbing and lifting the inside ski dramatically. darn near rolled it on a very hard packed corner once before I cranked the front shock to the top.  I also had the 4" stock carbides on the outer edge. I took them off after 1 trip and threw them in the trash.  

Went back to 8" woody's executive carbides on my 800 and was happy again.

I have a 6" Woody's centers with 4" stock outside carbides on my 1200 which has 96 Gold digger studs down the center of a 1.25" Ripsaw 2 track.  Still getting the hole suspension dialled in but it seems that less center carbide then the 800 is true as stated above.

Edited by Kbar, 10 January 2017 - 06:26 PM.

Past Sleds - 1976 Olympic, 1979 Citation 300, 1986 Tundra, 1990 Safari L, 1993 Bravo, 1991 Formula Plus, 2008 MXZ 800

#11 nub1111

nub1111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Sled:2013 gsx se 4 tech

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:10 PM

Bergstrom triple point, expensive but worth it.

#12 ntjordan

ntjordan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Sled:1200 Renegade, 900 ACE Renegade

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:10 PM

3. Ride with a steadier thumb.

Don't let off completely when you want to slow down, just back of slightly, this will keep engine braking to a minimum. Also don't blip the throttle on the low end. This way you'll avoid the surge.

Bingo!  I put on 7.5 shapers on last season and my steering felt crazy heavy with the settings I had.  I now I run my front springs at the softest setting and my center spring at 4/5.  Now my steering feels good.

Both of these are spot on, I also came off a 800 Renegade. The first few rides I had some serious armpump from the heavy feeling steering. Made the adjustments Bestia mentioned and learned to ride it like a 4 stroke and not a 2 stroke. Keep the engine turning a bit in the corners so all the weight doesn't shift to the front. I love this sled now!!!

#13 jonnyb3_94

jonnyb3_94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Sled:2013 Ski Doo Renegade X 1200

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:29 PM

I can't believe no one has suggested the snowtrackers yet!!! I was ready to get rid of my 1200 with the heavy steering until I put the snowtrackers on. Always ran the Bergstoms on previous sleds but could not make them steer easy on the 1200. Was totally wore out after a day of riding. The snowtrackers gave my sled that power steering feel.

#14 KnappAttack

KnappAttack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts
  • Sled:2014 XR1200/GadeX, MCX turbo, Slicast

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:36 PM

I can't believe no one has suggested the snowtrackers yet!!! I was ready to get rid of my 1200 with the heavy steering until I put the snowtrackers on. Always ran the Bergstoms on previous sleds but could not make them steer easy on the 1200. Was totally wore out after a day of riding. The snowtrackers gave my sled that power steering feel.

People figure it out over time! A day with Shapers on a 1200 is like a workout in the gym! Hope you have strong and good shoulders. YOu'd think the machine weighs 900 pounds!

Same thing with Bergstroms, don't see why anyone would want them on a 1200.

Can't always push the trackers, eventually people figure it out over time. Does not take much searching on DooTalk to see what works on the 1200 for easy steering carbides. Enough info out there already.

#15 Fadmon30

Fadmon30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:Anything with a motor or presents a challange
  • Sled:'15 GSX Se, '02 MXZ700X

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:27 PM

I ran the 4" stockers on the outside and 6" Woodys Ace (1/2" square host bar) and I was mostly happy with this setup. A little push in loose conditions. Didn't steer heavy, not as heavy as a shaper bar that is for sure. Haven't touched the limiter strap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users