• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 MotoXR

MotoXR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Interests:Surviving Melanoma, one day at a time.
  • Sled:'99 Summit 600 - '75 TNT - '81 elan

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

well I would get a good used one if I felt like it but I don't an also its a little pin hole too not a big hole smaller then the pilot jet in carb as comparison

I've done quite a bit of plastic welding on sleds. Virtually all of the black plastic fuel tanks used on modern sleds are made of HDPE (High Density Poly Ethylene), so that is the the type of material you'll need to repair the hole.

You can try using a regular soldering iron to melt the PE, you'll just need to make sure you get both the pin hole area of the fuel tank melting as well as the new PE that you're bonding to it to fill the hole. 

Some of the airless thermo plastic welders made specifically for the job look much like a glorified soldering iron, however unlike the typical inexpensive soldering iron, a unit made for plastic welding has the ability to adjust the temp of the welding tip for the various types of plastics. I have an airless plastic welder, and it works really well. I've used it to repair cracks in the urethane hood on my '99 ZX Summit, damaged plastic skis, punctured fuel tanks, and a bunch of other stuff...

134218.jpg

Edited by MotoXR, 10 January 2017 - 09:50 PM.

#17 The Bandit

The Bandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Riding sleds Quads an Dirt bikes. An Doing the maintenance an repairs
  • Sled:1997 summit 670

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:58 PM

I've done quite a bit of plastic welding on sleds. Virtually all of the black plastic fuel tanks used on modern sleds are made of HDPE (High Density Poly Ethylene), so that is the the type of material you'll need to repair the hole.

You can try using a regular soldering iron to melt the PE, you'll just need to make sure you get both the pin hole area of the fuel tank melting as well as the new PE that you're bonding to it to fill the hole. 

Some of the airless thermo plastic welders made specifically for the job look much like a glorified soldering iron, however unlike the typical inexpensive soldering iron, a unit made for plastic welding has the ability to adjust the temp of the welding tip for the various types of plastics. I have an airless plastic welder, and it works really well. I've used it to repair cracks in the urethane hood on my '99 ZX Summit, damaged plastic skis, punctured fuel tanks, and a bunch of other stuff...

134218.jpg

Where would I get one of these things then?

#18 snorander

snorander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts
  • Sled:1996 Formula 583STX & 1996 Formula Z 583

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

For how much that probably costs you could get a couple of used gas tanks LOL

1996 Ski-Doo Formula Z 583
-Reverse

-Pilot 5.7's

1996 Ski-Doo Formula 583 STX
-Electric Start

-Reverse
-Pilot 5.7's
-SC-10II rear suspension

#19 The Bandit

The Bandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Riding sleds Quads an Dirt bikes. An Doing the maintenance an repairs

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:13 PM

For how much that probably costs you could get a couple of used gas tanks LOL

I own two quads a dirt bike an two snowmobiles that all run so replacing the plastic on them would get expensive especially since two are Kawasaki's. I think it would be cheaper just to buy the fancy wood burner

#20 MotoXR

MotoXR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

Where would I get one of these things then?

Bought mine on Amazon a number of years ago for about $140 as I recall.  Amazon still seems to have the best online price... https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B00IEX6NME

While it seems kind of pricey for what it is, if you get enough use out of it, like any tool it will eventually pay for itself. 

Edited by MotoXR, 11 January 2017 - 03:25 PM.

#21 The Bandit

The Bandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

Bought mine on Amazon a number of years ago for about $140 as I recall.  Amazon still seems to have the best online price... https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B00IEX6NME

While it seems kind of pricey for what it is, if you get enough use out of it, like any tool it will eventually pay for itself. 

140 isn't bad at all since new plastic on one of the quads is 300 plus for what I need to do an for the snowmobile tank its 137 on ebay right now so I rather just get the tool

#22 MotoXR

MotoXR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

When I bought my '99 Summit 600, it needed some work. Figure I probably saved somewhere around $400 - $500 (based on typical ebay used parts prices) with that welder repairing plastic parts... a few hood cracks, coolant bottle, ski damage. So yeah, buying the plastic welder was more than cost effective for me. 

#23 The Bandit

The Bandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

When I bought my '99 Summit 600, it needed some work. Figure I probably saved somewhere around $400 - $500 (based on typical ebay used parts prices) with that welder repairing plastic parts... a few hood cracks, coolant bottle, ski damage. So yeah, buying the plastic welder was more than cost effective for me. 

So its able to repair snowmobile hoods then? how does the repair on the hood look

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users