• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 The Bandit

The Bandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Riding sleds Quads an Dirt bikes. An Doing the maintenance an repairs
  • Sled:1997 summit 670

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:06 PM

so last night i was riding around an stick got to close an poked a hole in the plastic fuel tank on my 1997 summit its at the half fuel mark as well an anything over it leaks fuel out of it an when fuel sloshes an when going up an down hills. What im asking is what is the best repair can i do on the snowmobile tank cause i kinda dont like my gear smelling like gas

#2 gpt

gpt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Interests:My family, most anything with an engine and Packers Football
  • Sled: 

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:21 PM

I've never heard of a a good repair approach but maybe others have some ideas. My suggestion would be to find a good used tank.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Edited by gpt, 10 January 2017 - 01:21 PM.

Northern Oconto County Wisconsin Cottage Cams

SledGuys (Oldest son's site)

My sleds:

95 Grand Touring

97 Touring-E LT

98 F3 600

98 F3 700

99 F3 700

#3 Ditchbangr zx

Ditchbangr zx

Let it snow!!

• DOOCrew
  • 45,570 posts
  • Sled:99 mxz 600 136" 05 Summit 800H.O 151"

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

Wow you must have found a tough branch to puncture the fuel tank!! I'm with gpt, don't know of any good fixes besides maybe some type of epoxy that can hold up againt gasoline??
I think I would by a used tank myself to save the hassle in the long run.
  • gpt likes this

#4 woodymn

woodymn

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 846 posts
  • Interests:All things outdoors
  • Sled:06 Smut, 08 Smut, 13 Smut, 16 Smut

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:26 PM

You could try to plastic weld it, but I may just be easier to buy a new tank and not have to worry about a patch. I would hate for something to happen.

#5 Layman

Layman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Interests:Riding, Golf, and my kids
  • Sled:2012 600 Pro-R

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

Flex Seal??? LOL.  On the commercial they use it to make a boat out of screen door.   Surely it will fix a little hole in your gas tank... right?   

I saw it on TV. It must be true.   

#6 The Bandit

The Bandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Riding sleds Quads an Dirt bikes. An Doing the maintenance an repairs

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

what about using a soldering gun? melt the plastic with a filler plastic like a zap strap or something? same idea as welding metal?

#7 The Bandit

The Bandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

Wow you must have found a tough branch to puncture the fuel tank!! I'm with gpt, don't know of any good fixes besides maybe some type of epoxy that can hold up againt gasoline??
I think I would by a used tank myself to save the hassle in the long run.

happened on the local mountain here so couldn't have happened in a worse spot up on a mountain when you have to go down an fuel goes to the hole

#8 The Bandit

The Bandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

I've never heard of a a good repair approach but maybe others have some ideas. My suggestion would be to find a good used tank.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

well I would get a good used one if I felt like it but I don't an also its a little pin hole too not a big hole smaller then the pilot jet in carb as comparison

Edited by The Bandit, 10 January 2017 - 02:51 PM.

#9 The Bandit

The Bandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

Flex Seal??? LOL.  On the commercial they use it to make a boat out of screen door.   Surely it will fix a little hole in your gas tank... right?   

I saw it on TV. It must be true.   

Ha I saw that too make a submarine out of a truck. But I think the gas would dissolve it since its a soft rubber compound. Gas eats duct tape found that out it eats the adhesive as well

#10 ultrarider

ultrarider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:Classic Cars, Motorcycles, Snowmobile, Finding Bigfoot, Guns, Constitution, Patriotism, Liberty
  • Sled:04 Legend 700 & 16 Mxz Blizzard 800 etec

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:58 PM

The only way to plastic weld it with success,  is to use a  thermoplastic welder. You have to determine what type of plastic it is, then purchase the correct welding rod. If you don't know what type of plastic the tank is made of, you will have to try a few different welding rods to see which one adheres.  My best guess is that the Tank is either HDPE or Polypropylene.  I have one of these welders which can weld most any of the popular plastics. I recently used it to weld together side by side my trailer ski Glides which are HDPE, and the weld is as strong as the glide.  This can be used to weld any of the plastics on the sled, if you need to. Just have to know what the plastic material is.

https://www.hejetproducts.com/

Edited by ultrarider, 10 January 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#11 The Bandit

The Bandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:03 PM

The only way to plastic weld it with success,  is to use a  thermoplastic welder. You have to determine what type of plastic it is, then purchase the correct welding rod. If you don't know what type of plastic the tank is made of, you will have to try a few different welding rods to see which one adheres.  My best guess is that the Tank is either HDPE or Polypropylene.  I have one of these welders which can weld most any of the popular plastics. I recently used it to weld together side by side my trailer ski Glides which are HDPE, and the weld is as strong as the glide.  This can be used to weld any of the plastics on the sled, if you need to. Just have to know what the plastic material is.

https://www.hejetproducts.com/

well whats the difference between a soldering gun an a thermos plastic welder? beside the obvious like the name an obviously one was meant to do the job an the other is meant for soldering wires. But they both heat up with out using a flame so is it possible to use a soldering gun instead? since its -24 or something like that outside an I don't feel like driving to get a thermo welder

#12 snorander

snorander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts
  • Sled:1996 Formula 583STX & 1996 Formula Z 583

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:10 PM

I have used a soldering gun to melt cracks back together on my 72 Olympic back in the day, you just have to be careful and not go all the way though the tank.

Edited by snorander, 10 January 2017 - 03:50 PM.

1996 Ski-Doo Formula Z 583
-Reverse

-Pilot 5.7's

1996 Ski-Doo Formula 583 STX
-Electric Start

-Reverse
-Pilot 5.7's
-SC-10II rear suspension

#13 The Bandit

The Bandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:12 PM

I have used a soldering gun to melt cracks back together on my 72 Olympic back in the day, you just have to be care and not go all the way though the tank.

how strong was the fix?

#14 snorander

snorander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts
  • Sled:1996 Formula 583STX & 1996 Formula Z 583

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

Not as good as new but it worked for quite a while. Used tank is the best way to go. Craig's list, Kiji, ebay...should be pretty easy to find one

1996 Ski-Doo Formula Z 583
-Reverse

-Pilot 5.7's

1996 Ski-Doo Formula 583 STX
-Electric Start

-Reverse
-Pilot 5.7's
-SC-10II rear suspension

#15 striker1553

striker1553

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Sled:1998 Formula Z 670

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:04 PM

I worked in plastics injection molding for a few years and as ultra rider mentioned, plastic only likes to stick to like plastics. Poly to poly, acetal to acetal, nylon to nylon.

I agree it is most likely a polypropylene tank. I've never plastic welded, but it makes sense so long as you don't burn through it.

Plastic welding works similar to 3d printing. Melting a little plastic together at a time to achieve the desired thickness without buring or warping it.

With plastic it's all about keeping the temperature correct. Poly melts just south of 450degrees F.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users