• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 FireBlazer27

FireBlazer27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Motors, custom fab, and pushing myself to the limit on the trails
  • Sled:none at the moment (had a "small" fire)

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:36 PM

I am new around here so I will just say what happened to me.

I was up in the north woods of Wisconsin ( 10ish miles from the northern border ) riding with friends and family from December 27 until January 1st. We were taking our sleds out for our first ride of the year and 5 to 10 miles down the trail, my sled started to have acceleration issues, (engine ran normally but seemed down on power) the brakes were getting hard to squeeze, and I was smelling what seemed like a belt burning up. (I have burned a belt before and it smelled the exact same) I figured if the belt went then the belt went so I kept riding. After about a mile of this, I went to slow for a corner and the track locked up. Looking back I suspect that the brakes and fluid were heating up and locking the track up, but the engine still ran, even though it only went up to 6k rpm. When I slid to a stop the sled died and my friend practically pulled me off the sled yelling that there was fire underneath on the right side just beneath the brakes and chaincase. A few seconds later it was gone, but I am thankful that it didn't explode and that no one was hurt. It got hot enough to melt the chain case and left side of the tunnel.

I would like to know what you think caused this. A few things to note: we were going about 35-45 on twisty trails, temp was 15F, chain case oil was black and had metal stuck to the magnet on the dipstick, sled had new motor mounts (broke old ones), full oil tank, 1/4 full fuel tank, grease all the way around, and 3400ish miles.

Ideas on the cause?

#2 striker1553

striker1553

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Sled:1998 Formula Z 670

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:43 PM

The burning smell was the brake locking up. Same thing happens on street bikes if the fluid never gets flushed. The chain case probably needed new fluid too, but the fire most likely started because the brake was locked up continuously applying the brake. If you've ever seen Nascar, and how blazing orange those brakes get, the sleds will do the same thing due to the friction.

Metal shavings on the magnet is normal, that's what it's for!

Edited by striker1553, 10 January 2017 - 12:44 PM.

#3 Jason Blier

Jason Blier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:Way too many to list
  • Sled:1997 Formula III

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:44 PM

Chances are your return port inside the brake master cylinder is clogged which then does not allow pressure from the caliper to bleed back into the brake fluid reservoir.   Just open the reservoir beside the brake lever and pump the brakes - you should see fluid squirting up from under the fluid - if not, use a small pin to carefully unclog the port (it is very small).  Bleed and change brake fluid - also - do a search, there is more information on tips and tricks for bleeding your brakes.

Hope that helps - this is a very common issue on F and S chassis sleds - check your brakes often and get in the habit of bleeding them a few times a year. 

#4 gpt

gpt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Interests:My family, most anything with an engine and Packers Football
  • Sled: 

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

Agreed, it was your brakes.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Northern Oconto County Wisconsin Cottage Cams

SledGuys (Oldest son's site)

My sleds:

95 Grand Touring

97 Touring-E LT

98 F3 600

98 F3 700

99 F3 700

#5 Jason Blier

Jason Blier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:Way too many to list
  • Sled:1997 Formula III

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:05 PM

Here is a link to a good discussion on the brake issue: http://www.dootalk.c...are-my-options/

LETMGROW has some great tips on bleeding and cleaning the brake system.

-J

#6 FireBlazer27

FireBlazer27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for the advice on this. I am going to buy another formula 500 soon, would it be a good ideat to flush the brakes on the new sled as preventative maintenence?

#7 gpt

gpt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Interests:My family, most anything with an engine and Packers Football
  • Sled: 

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the advice on this. I am going to buy another formula 500 soon, would it be a good ideat to flush the brakes on the new sled as preventative maintenence?

An absolute must. I doo this on all sleds I buy because I know for sure nobody else has done it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Edited by gpt, 11 January 2017 - 01:29 PM.

Northern Oconto County Wisconsin Cottage Cams

SledGuys (Oldest son's site)

My sleds:

95 Grand Touring

97 Touring-E LT

98 F3 600

98 F3 700

99 F3 700

#8 The Bandit

The Bandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Riding sleds Quads an Dirt bikes. An Doing the maintenance an repairs
  • Sled:1997 summit 670

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

Do a brake flush on all toys you buy second hand its a good preventive measure an will tell you if something is wrong with the brakes its a shame that your sled burnt up but it could always be worse

#9 FireBlazer27

FireBlazer27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for all of the help. I have a friend's sled to ride for now but will buy and service one for myself over the summer and will check on the brakes. Thank you once again.

#10 mdmead

mdmead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Sled:Ski Doo Summit 670

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:25 AM

Had the same thing happen on my '04 REV this season... fire and all.  Luckily I put the fire out quickly and no real damage was done.  Took me two tries to clear the return port in the master cylinder, but it is good now.  Funny thing is the same thing happened on a ride today on a friend's '97 Summit 500.

Matt

Selah (near Yakima) WA

'04 600 Summit REV

'97 Summit 670 - DEAD

'97 Summit 583

'95 Skandic 500

'95 RXL - DEAD

'85 Bravo

85 Manta - DEAD

#11 600ace

600ace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • Interests:family, Snowmobiling, Golf, Snow Groomers,
  • Sled:2017&2016 900 blizzard 2011 600ace

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:46 AM

Have seen many sleds burn up because of brake lockup.

Was grooming the powerline Monday and two 2000 vintage sleds pull up behind us and wait while we fill a water bar jump back in the groomer and start to leave and in the mirror see one of the sleds on fire ,2000 mxz 700 , jump out of the groomer with the shovels in had and douse it before it got to the fuel line and put it out .

Guy says he just bought the sled and first ride a couple miles from the house it'll be a while before his next ride , the cost of the sled just went up and lesson learned , change the brake fluid after buying an older used sled .

#12 The Bandit

The Bandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Riding sleds Quads an Dirt bikes. An Doing the maintenance an repairs
  • Sled:1997 summit 670

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

im pretty sure in the owners manual the precheck before going out sledding is to make sure your brakes are functioning

#13 600ace

600ace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  • Interests:family, Snowmobiling, Golf, Snow Groomers,
  • Sled:2017&2016 900 blizzard 2011 600ace

Posted 12 January 2017 - 07:04 PM

They functioned toooo good

Edited by 600ace, 12 January 2017 - 07:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users