Photo

01 skidoo formula deluxe 600 electrical issues.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DooNewbie01

DooNewbie01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sled:2001 Skidoo Formula Deluxe 600

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

Hi all, new member and new to these newer skidoos. Sorry for the long post. Trying to explain best I can. I've mainly owned vintage sleds till I bought my 01. On Sunday morning I went to go for a ride and my new battery was dead. I pull started the sled and went on my way. Stopped at a gas station 20 miles in, had to pull start. Battery was still dead. Got back home and the battery was still dead. Not charging. I put my charger on it for a couple hours. Next morning I decide to ride to work. Start it up and head for work. About 4 miles in, I go to turn on high beams. Nothing. Both burnt out. Got to work on low beams. Rode home after work and started to do some testing. I just put the headlights in 100 miles ago. I tested at the accessory plug and head light plugs. At idle it's 6-8 volts AC. At 3000 RPM it fluctuates between 12.4 to 13.8 or so. On the DC side there's nothing. Stays at 12.2(batt v) so it's not charging. I did some searching on here and found that the red with blue wire from rectifier runs to key switch and should connect to red with white when it's running which connects to 30 amp fuse and the battery. I unplug the key switch and try to ohm the switch. The red with blue isn't connecting with the red with white unless you hold it in the start position. Which also connects to red with white to solid red that goes to the solenoid.the wire from rectifier to key switch tested good. But no voltage at Red with blue when running. The key has always been a bit finicky since I got the sled in November. So I'm guessing it's never been charging since I got it. Is it possible since I rode with a dead battery, it spiked the voltage and burnt out my high beams during the day ride, and now that it's charged, the voltage is fine? It's there a way to bench test the regulator/rectifier? I want to make sure this is it before I drop $160 on one. Thanks.

#2 The Bandit

The Bandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Riding sleds Quads an Dirt bikes. An Doing the maintenance an repairs
  • Sled:1997 summit 670

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

The battery acts as a absorber for electrical spikes. I suspect you have a faulty wire somewhere might be a ground causing an incomplete circuit. If the battery was dead an you charged it since it doesn't charge in the sled its just going to die again an you will be left with the same issue. I  would suggest replacing your ignition switch sense your saying its finky could be damaged inside. Which would cause the connecter between the two wires to break or loosen

Edited by The Bandit, 10 January 2017 - 03:44 PM.

#3 DooNewbie01

DooNewbie01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Sled:2001 Skidoo Formula Deluxe 600

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for the reply bandit. I did check the continuity of the wires from the rectifier to the key switch. Checked out good. And from switch to battery. Local dealer actually has a ignition switch in Stock, so I'm going to go there with a multimeter and see if it's right. I think I'm gunna use the regulator/rectifier again as its 170 bucks and could take a week or more to get.

#4 The Bandit

The Bandit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Riding sleds Quads an Dirt bikes. An Doing the maintenance an repairs
  • Sled:1997 summit 670

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for the reply bandit. I did check the continuity of the wires from the rectifier to the key switch. Checked out good. And from switch to battery. Local dealer actually has a ignition switch in Stock, so I'm going to go there with a multimeter and see if it's right. I think I'm gunna use the regulator/rectifier again as its 170 bucks and could take a week or more to get.

No problem let me know how it works out for you. An welcome to DooTalk ask any issues you have with your sled or just general thoughts an people will answer

Did you check the 30 amp fuse? an Does the electric start try to engage when the key is turned?

Edited by The Bandit, 11 January 2017 - 03:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users