• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 hawghunter

hawghunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Ice fishing, Snowmobiling, Hot Rods, Custom work of any kind
  • Sled:2016 Enduro 1200

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:57 PM

I don't see a product or gear section so I am posting here.

I understand there are many topics about helmets but I can't find what I am after. I am looking for real result answers from actual owners. I currently own 2 BV2S helmets and both are top priority to have replaced unfortunately, immediately. What a disappointment to have to be dealing with this currently. I like the design and function very much but safety is a concern. I am not interested in a modular 2 or mod 3 helmet 0%, I have first hand observed how they work on a trail and are not for me. I am looking for a helmet that can have some frontal impact resistance, so moto x helmet?. Can someone recommend a quality helmet. I have been looking at 509 carbon currently. I really like the fact I never fog in the BV2S and the flip down breath box is awesome for talking trailside, but they sacrifice safety. So if anyway this is capable on another helmet please suggest. I do not know anyone personally with a 509 helmet to question but I have heard about the blower fans internal to the helmet. The reviews of the 509 are flip a coin 50/50 so not thinking this is the ticket either.

I am looking for a quality product, safety, warmth and fog free are very important. 

#2 08RenegadeX

08RenegadeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Sled:2013 Renegade 1200

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:11 PM

This is a hard question to answer due to the fact that everyone breaths differently or can be naturally just warm in the helmet, I myself sweat easily. I've recently had the Modular 2 helmet but needed to update due to age of the helmet. I went away from it and bought a Castle X Exo 950 helmet. It's a modular, but has a face shield that can take off and wear goggles if preferred. I got to wear it this weekend finally and I was happy with it. Still have to experiment with it to get rid of some fogging when I stop riding.

#3 hawghunter

hawghunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Ice fishing, Snowmobiling, Hot Rods, Custom work of any kind

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:33 PM

Ok. I am honestly looking for all input. I think this is going to be tough as well when there always seem to be someone that a helmet perfectly suits their needs. I see many like the mod 2 and mod 3 and are extremely happy so how could they feel anything is better especially if they haven't used anything else. This will likely be a trial and error adventure I am thinking. Google has been busy from this ip address tonight lol.

#4 Ditchbangr zx

Ditchbangr zx

Let it snow!!

• DOOCrew
  • 42,056 posts
  • Sled:99 mxz 600 136" 05 Summit 800H.O 151"

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:37 PM

Check out the CKX Titan helmet, moto x style but has the module type front that opens.
There is a thread about this helmet going already.

#5 Z7*

Z7*

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 1,926 posts
  • Interests:Family, bowhunting big whitetails, fishing, sledding
  • Sled:Looking

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:55 PM

Check out the CKX Titan helmet, moto x style but has the module type front that opens.
There is a thread about this helmet going already.

Yes, what Ditch said.

If that's not what you're looking for check out a XP-R2.
I have one and really like it.

#6 DirtFarmer01

DirtFarmer01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Sled:2003 Polaris 700

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:32 AM

This is a hard question to answer due to the fact that everyone breaths differently or can be naturally just warm in the helmet, I myself sweat easily. I've recently had the Modular 2 helmet but needed to update due to age of the helmet. I went away from it and bought a Castle X Exo 950 helmet. It's a modular, but has a face shield that can take off and wear goggles if preferred. I got to wear it this weekend finally and I was happy with it. Still have to experiment with it to get rid of some fogging when I stop riding.

I have the same lid and just wore mine for the first time also. Was very happy with it. Had some similar issues with fogging when stopped. I found if you flip up in the chin bar it seemed to fog up more. Especially if I was unplugged from the heated shield cord. I left the helmet plugged in when I could. The fogging seemed to clear right up as soon as I plugged back in again or started to get going and just flipped up the face shield to get a little wind inside and it was gone. At times I could feel a little breeze inside the helmet but nothing that was bothersome. We were riding in some cold temps too. Overall I think it's a great helmet so far. Only other issue we found is with breathing heavy and the moisture would freeze up the modular latch and you couldn't unlatch the chin bar until you got the ice out. Pulling the balaclava over my mouth seemed to help it a little more.

#7 Wisconsin Rider

Wisconsin Rider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors
  • Sled:2005 550F & 2006 Yamaha Vector,1995 Elan

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:18 AM

I like to try helmets on in person, as opposed to mail order. Some of that depends on what's available locally, one may have to do the mail order drill.

I like a helmet a tad in the large side, no squeezing of the head, especially with a balaclava underneath. I went with a heated shield this Winter on my HJC helmet. With the double visor and careful breathing I don't plug it in all that much. It stays fog free pretty well on its own.

Remember, the most important safety aspect of the ride is the operator. Not to discount a helmet, but I hope to not bounce mine against a tree.

Edited by Wisconsin Rider, 10 January 2017 - 08:19 AM.

#8 BackcountryBruce

BackcountryBruce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Sled:Expedition Sport 900Ace Summit SP 800

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:03 AM

I had a modular helmet when they were introduced. I switched to a Klim 4 years ago and really like it.

#9 stevo9

stevo9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Sled:2016 MxZ X 600

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:14 AM

I'm using a 509 altitude CF this year. I've had some neck problems so I was interested in something very light weight but warm enough for trail riding.

The fit is great for me and it's definitely light weight. Works very well with 509 goggles but don't expect to just throw on the helmet and goggles and have it work. It took some tweaking. I'm using a modified universal HJC breath deflector rather the 509 one. Glued a 1" strip of neoprene around the edge of the goggles to really seal everything up. Works great now. Never fogs. Rode in -5 F last weekend with no problem. I also like the new Fidlock chin strap connection.

While it works great I'm not impressed with overall quality. Liner materials and trim are not nearly as nice as the fly helmet which unfortunalty just didn't fit me right. Even the quality of the graphic and finish is sub par in my opinion. I would say 509 is average to below when it comes to safety and comparable to price point helmets like HJC. They just do the basics using dual density foam and that's about it. They do get multiple safety carts typically. The Altitude CF is DOT and ECE but not Snell. The beak feels strong compared to most but not as strong as the fly.

If you're really looking for safety then Fly helmets with MIPS are probably among the best. Excellent quality and fairly light. Tons of color patterns and very reasonably priced. Lots of people on here like them. The Motorfist alpha helmet also has some impressive safety features designed in but I don't think it's as accepted as MIPS. I wanted to go with this helmet but it just riding fit me right. The Klim F4 is a very good, high quality helmet but not as light as others. I'm not so familiar with FXR. You can also consider the high end moto cross specific helmets form Shoei, Suomy, Troy Lee Designs, etc. Leading edge of high level quality and safety features. Just be prepared to make some mods to make them warm (plug vents, add a breath box, find the right goggles).
Past sleds:
1979 John Deere Spitfire
1997 MxZ 670
2002 MxZ 600
2013 MxZ X 600

#10 titus_4

titus_4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Sled:2008 Renegade 800R

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:13 AM

I posted this in another helmet thread...

Had an old HJC, went to mod 2, "This is the best helmet ever"

Went from mod 2 to BV2S, "This is the best helmet ever"

Went from BV2S to carbon fiber 509, "This is the best helmet ever"

Stevo9 is correct about you might have to make adjustments. I started with Sinister X5 and absolutely HATED them. Switched to Aviators and it was a world of difference. The X5 put too much nose pressure and was actually starting to congest my sinuses. I rode for a day and a half constantly thinking about how uncomfortable I was. Stopped at the dealership and tried a pair of aviators. They are not cheap goggles but I would have paid double for them that day.

Other than the goggles, I didn't have to do anything else. No extra foam anywhere and I don't even run the breath box most of the time. Klim Arctic balaclava works great for me. As long as I get it pulled around my eyes close enough that the goggles seal up, I'm good to go. 

Once you go to a Moto helmet, you'll have a tough time going back. The weight savings of the carbon fiber is amazing.

2008 Renegade 800R

- Goodwin Performance Clutch Kit

- Powder Keg Fuel Keg

- SkiDoo Hand Guards

- Fox Podium Shocks

- SCS Graphics Kit  

#11 Mike-337

Mike-337

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts
  • Interests:Short course Off-Road Racing. ATVs. Duel-Sport bike, Snowmobiling.
  • Sled:2011 550 TNT W/ dual quad bangers

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:23 AM

Troy Lee,,Shoei, are both fantastic, comfortable moto helmets.
The older i get, the faster i was.

#12 hawghunter

hawghunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

I don't think anyone of us have a dream about going out and confronting a tree. I am just trying to be somewhat preventative if that were to ever happen.
Thank you all. I am starting to understand the fact that no matter what we select we are going to have some tweaking to make them suitable for our riding styles. Not that we are any different than the rest on here, we just seem to have more issues with our equipment or maybe just have our expectations of good equipment set to high. It is apparent that everyone's head/face shape is different an no one helmet is going to be perfect out of the box, that would be too easy. I have a couple hjc helmets currently and found they were not suitable for us and have always had fogging issues and wind/snow leaks and are cold even with quality balaclavas, maybe they are just lower end for them I honestly don't know but I did not spend large amounts on the hjc ones we have. I think I am going to seriously look at the Klim F4 though. I have been very happy with my klim gear to this point and am starting to feel like a walking billboard for them unfortunately but to this point their products just work for me so that doesn't really matter.
Sitting hear discussing helmets with the wife because nothing else seems to matter to me more currently than this. I just showed her the F4 and got an ugh we are going to have separate goggles? Really? Looking at her I was like well I don't really know what to do right now. Did you get your hair cut Hun? She looks at me with a puzzled look on her face and said to me, " Well the other night before we went riding I thought my hair was going to interfere with the helmet so I grabbed the scissors and cut a couple chunks out. I really didn't think you would notice. Why do I look funny?" Like really what is supposed to be the proper response to that. All I could do was shake my head and say wow we must be fn diehards.
So with all the helmet threads I hope this is a little enlightening as I am kind of beside myself on what to do with the decision I have to make currently. I really do not want to make a mail order as I really want to be able to try the helmet on. If there is a problem with something I tend to find it unfortunately that is just my luck. I will share which product we decide to go with and will report back with how it all works out. I apologize about the life moment but thought it was too funny not to share it with the DOOTalk family.

#13 madman7

madman7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:14' RenX / 13' Nytro MCXpress / 12' MXZ
  • Sled:16' BCX

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:44 AM

Bell Moto 9 Carbon Flex....  They even have a nice Breath Box that you can get and a heavier liner if need be.

#14 74Craig

74Craig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling
    Racing
  • Sled:2016 Cross Treck 6000,2013 Grand Touring

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:46 PM

Have been really considering the Klim F4 also. My HJC was the worst most drafty helmet I've ever had grr!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 hawghunter

hawghunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:10 PM

Just spent roughly an hour at the dealership looking over helmets and construction. Wow such a decision. Unfortunately they do not have the klim helmet on the shelf so I will be travelling to a shop that does carry them soon. Or see if the rep can bring one in for us to check them out. They did have the ckx as mentioned earlier and had a good look over it. Very concerned with the drafting as the other thread mentioned but it looks like a decent helmet and sounds like with the update to the goggles it is a decent piece. Not something a person is able to take try and return if not suitable unfortunately. Kind of a buy, try, and sell used if it doesn't work out kind of item. So it could be a costly adventure once again. I spent some time with the ckx trans helmet as it is similar to the Bv2s. Again one doesn't know until it is put into action. They also didn't sell Bell helmets so another area to research there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users