Photo

Choosing a Track

Track Tracks Renegade Camso Camoplast Composit Talon 38 Talon 45 Ice Cobra 1.6 Ripsaw

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Noisy_B

Noisy_B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Sled:2007 MXZ Renegade 600 SDI

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:47 PM

Hey Doo Talkers!

Thinking about replacing the stock Ripsaw on my '07 Renegade 600 with something better... But after unsuccessfully searching for answers, I'm turning to your expertise on track choices!

First and foremost, lets address the width.  The factory Ripsaw is 16" wide, but while several "guides" recommend always replacing your track with one of equal length and width, the only 136"x16" track I've found is the Camso/Camoplast Challenger Trail... Everything else is 15"!  The 16" looks to overhang my idler wheels by enough that losing 1/2" on each side should be ok, but does anyone have experience swapping to a narrower track?

Next, lets talk about lug height.  Nothing I've found seems to describe the trade-offs associated with different lug heights... It's pretty obvious that taller tracks work better in deep powder, but what's the effect on the trail?  I've heard you lose top speed when going taller, but is that it?  Rougher ride?  Poor handling?  Why isn't everyone running a 1.75" if they've got the clearance?  I've heard some guys re-gear for a taller track, is that necessary?

Of course, I've heard and read that track choice is highly dependent on riding style... someone that never goes off trail doesn't need a 2" track!  But what if I want to jump off the trail for a little powder play?  Living in Minnesota, I bang a lot of ditches and groomed trails (when we actually get snow), with the occasional chance to play in the deep stuff.  Since we haven't had a decent winter for a few years, I've been taking a couple trips per winter to the UP, where it's usually a constant search for the deepest powder we can find!  I consider myself an aggressive trail rider; I love to see how fast I can rail thru the twisty stuff!  Is there a size/style that's the best of both worlds?

I've been looking at the Composit Talon 38 (1.5") and Talon 45 (1.77"), both of which claim to be great on and off trail (and are priced $25 apart), as well as the Camso/Camoplast Ice Cobra 1.6, Intense (1.5"), and maybe the Challenger Trail (1.75").  Anyone have experience or opinions about any of these?

I welcome any input!  Thanks!

#2 snopro734

snopro734

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Sled:XRS

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

Had a 16 wide on my 12 renegade and swapped that ripsaw one out for the ripsaw two, in 15 wide. No complaints and I couldn't tell you that it was an inch thinner.

#3 doo_x

doo_x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, Wrenching on cars, trucks and sleds, Riding sleds
  • Sled:2005 MXZ 800 H.O. Adrenaline

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

I just put a talon 38 on my 97 mxz 670 in the fall, I only got about 30 miles on it, so far I love it! Tons of traction! Also I have 1.75 backcountry on my 05 rev 800ho and it has tons of traction as well. Mostly of my riding is off trail and ditch banging. Also the sleds I have are 121. I can go just as far as a 136 can go in the powder.

If you want a best of both worlds track size, 1.5 will work. Gearing down will help gain a bit of bottom end back from the lug height increase. Also a clutch kit will be a plus with a track swap to 1.75.

#4 Noisy_B

Noisy_B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:01 PM

I just put a talon 38 on my 97 mxz 670 in the fall, I only got about 30 miles on it, so far I love it! Tons of traction! Also I have 1.75 backcountry on my 05 rev 800ho and it has tons of traction as well. Mostly of my riding is off trail and ditch banging. Also the sleds I have are 121. I can go just as far as a 136 can go in the powder.

If you want a best of both worlds track size, 1.5 will work. Gearing down will help gain a bit of bottom end back from the lug height increase. Also a clutch kit will be a plus with a track swap to 1.75.

So did you notice any difference in handling with the Talon 38?  Why'd you choose that over the 45?  Clearance?  Thanks for the reply!

#5 Snowblower8

Snowblower8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Sled:G4 Summit

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:54 PM

I say go with a 1.75 and some ice scratchers and also re gear it. Putting that track on my sled made a huge difference and I ride on trails too. With the 1.75 there will be some howling and maybe a slight vibration here and there when riding on trail. Just something you have to get used to with a taller lug track. Never had a problem with cooling when the scratchers are down. Mine is also a shorty. 

#6 doo_x

doo_x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, Wrenching on cars, trucks and sleds, Riding sleds
  • Sled:2005 MXZ 800 H.O. Adrenaline

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:28 AM

So did you notice any difference in handling with the Talon 38? Why'd you choose that over the 45? Clearance? Thanks for the reply!

I chose the talon 38 because of clearance, I would of gone with the 45 but good thing I got the 38 cause I had just enough room for it in my mxz 670. I didn't notice any difference in handling because the way I have the rear suspension set up to pick up the skis in the powder.

#7 ohiomxzrev

ohiomxzrev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts
  • Sled:2015 Freeride 146

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:56 AM

Go 1.75.  Best of both worlds.  Wont notice anything in handling.  Will lose some top end.  And you DON'T need scratchers.  That's what I put on my last renegade and didn't change anything else.  no cooling issues.

I'd say to ride if first before you re-gear....might not need to.  If you do decide you need to re-gear later...it will only cost you 8 oz of chain lube......

#8 Mach189

Mach189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,735 posts
  • Sled:89 Mach1 05 GSX 500ss

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:10 PM

Go 1.75.  Best of both worlds.  Wont notice anything in handling.  Will lose some top end.  And you DON'T need scratchers.  That's what I put on my last renegade and didn't change anything else.  no cooling issues.

I'd say to ride if first before you re-gear....might not need to.  If you do decide you need to re-gear later...it will only cost you 8 oz of chain lube......

What temp were you running at with the 1.75?  Were you mostly off trail?

#9 gaboon

gaboon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts
  • Interests:fast cars and sleds
  • Sled:2003 Mach Z Mod w/Clayton 809

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:19 PM

I wouldn't go any larger than 1.5 for the type of riding you do. That and going larger may cause some vibration/heating issues.
Going to a 15" wide track is not an issue what so ever.

2003 Mach Z Clayton 809
1987 Shelby Charger 11.2@129mph

#10 Noisy_B

Noisy_B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:22 PM

I wouldn't go any larger than 1.5 for the type of riding you do. That and going larger may cause some vibration/heating issues.
Going to a 15" wide track is not an issue what so ever.

This may be a stupid question, but why would the taller track cause cooling issues?  Won't a taller track throw just as much (or more) snow up at the cooler? :shrug

#11 renegade backcountry

renegade backcountry

Ride it like ya stole it

• DOOCrew
  • 3,237 posts
  • Interests:snowmobile and MOPARS
  • Sled:2016 BLK 1200X 129" 2015 BLK XRS

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

I put the Talon 1.77 on my 1200X 129"    It hauls the mail..   no heating issues.    issue with cooling is on hard pack (icy) trails  just drop the scratchers an be fine.  I added 2 teeth to bottom gear to help with 1/2 inch increase in Lug.   No clearance issues on newer sleds.. the golden oldies had clearance problems i believe

#12 Tbone675

Tbone675

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts
  • Sled:2004 REV X 800 ; 2007 REV XRS 600sdi

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:48 PM

This may be a stupid question, but why would the taller track cause cooling issues? Won't a taller track throw just as much (or more) snow up at the cooler? :shrug

Taller lugs hold the track clips and rails further from the cooling snow. And on hard pack they actually throw less snow.

Edited by Tbone675, 11 January 2017 - 05:48 PM.

#13 Mach189

Mach189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,735 posts
  • Sled:89 Mach1 05 GSX 500ss

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:10 PM

I have a Talon38 shorty and I can see up to 10-12* F difference when I drop the ski mounted scratchers vs just the track. Im going to stud with 48 double backers for safety and so I dont have to worry about dropping the scratchers when the trail gets frozen or packed good.

#14 ohiomxzrev

ohiomxzrev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts
  • Sled:2015 Freeride 146

Posted 13 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

Mach189, on 11 Jan 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

What temp were you running at with the 1.75?  Were you mostly off trail?

Sled runs at 4 bars no matter what.......on or off trail

#15 woltersmachz

woltersmachz

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 1,226 posts
  • Sled:2005 Mach Z 07 renegade 03 rev 600ho

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:07 AM

Challenger 1.75" without question. This is my favorite track to date.Works great on trail,and even better off.No need for scratchers imho.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Track, Tracks, Renegade, Camso, Camoplast, Composit, Talon 38, Talon 45, Ice Cobra 1.6, Ripsaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users