thomashood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Sledding, fishing, RC's, bonfires in the backyard, cooking
  • Sled:1999 Mountainmax

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:44 PM

Afternoon/evening everyone,

Long time lurker first time poster here.  Hoping to get some advice/personal experience from the fine folks here.

I'm looking at getting a new sled.  I've got a 99 currently that's just not comfortable anymore, and the wife refuses to ride it with me.  I've been given the greenlight by the boss to get a new sled, and after wayyyy too much looking around, I'm down to two options.  To put some context into this, I'm in Northeastern Ontario.  I'm probably 70-80% trail, but I like to ice-fish, and I need something that can handle powder/blaze some trail to lakes off the beaten path.  I'm in my mid-30's, and the wife's got a bit of a tender back, so ride comfort is pretty high on the priority list.

Option #1) 2017 Skidoo Expedition Sport with the 900 Ace.  I like the 154x16x1.5 track, it comes with the two-up, and it's not heavy for a more utility-oriented sled.  But I know it's an older-style suspension and I'm concerned that the 154" track will make it a little harder to ride the trails.

Option #2) 2017 Skidoo Renegade Adrenaline with the 900 Ace.  Love the feel of this machine - definitely comfortable.  With the LinQ 2-up system, its nice to have an easy switch between one-rider and 2-up to save a little weight.  I feel like the 137" x 1.25 track will be a lot nicer for the trail, but is it going to treat me well trying to get off the beaten trail?  I'm not running Hydro lines, but I do need to bushwhack a bit.  The rmotion suspension is amazing, and I know the ride quality will be excellent.

Any advice/opinions/etc welcome!  And thanks in advance!

#2 grandnational81

grandnational81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Interests:Drag Racing (1969 Chevelle), Shooting, R/C Cars
  • Sled:2015 Renegade XRS BLACK

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:49 PM

I'd go withe the renegade adrenaline. We own one and it is a great machine that really does everything well, even in deep snow it does well.

#3 spangler21

spangler21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Rippin the sled, Riding the Wheeler, Golfing, Hunting
  • Sled:2014 Summit X 154"

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:51 PM

Welcome to the Site!

Lots of good people here with a lot of knowledge.

I vote renegade! They are the versatile do everything machine! the 900 ace is a great motor! The rmotion skid is like none other when it comes to comfortably.  And they are a little more "all day trail riding" friendly. 

i'm sure some XU guys will step in and say some things about the other one  :smile_old:

Edited by spangler21, 08 January 2017 - 05:51 PM.

2014 Summit X 154", 2015 Silverado 1500, 2007 Can-Am Renegade   :cool_old:

#KCCO

#4 Judge64

Judge64

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 2,382 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling
    Boating
    Traveling
  • Sled:2017 Enduro 900 and 2016 Enduro 900

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:56 PM

If you are going to look the the Adrenaline, you should also look at the Enduro. With the AirRide rMotion you will not find a more comfortable riding or adjustable sled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 rayclar

rayclar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Sledding, ice fishing, golf, and ???
  • Sled:2016 renegade adrenaline 900 ace

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:07 PM

Couple of questions, are you going to be bushwacking with the wife or is she just riding with you while trail riding? My friend about your same age has a 2015 expedition sport with a 900 ace and he can ride it on the groomed trails as fast as the young guys with the shortys. At least till 80mph. I have a gade adrenaline 900 ace and i can't go through the bush breaking trail where he takes his expi. Mine is pretty darn good in the bush now that i put the 6.9  ski's on her thought but that extra longer track and deeper lug on the expi make a big difference.. If i was doing 20 - 30 % off trail bush wacking i think i would go with the expedition. Both are sweet machines, tough choice. I think i just muddied the waters , didn't really help you sorry.

club > ssmtrailblazers.com

#6 BackcountryBruce

BackcountryBruce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Back Country Snowmobiling, GPS Navigation, Sea Kayaking
  • Sled:2017 Summit SP 850

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:12 PM

I owned both a Renegade 900 and an Expedition 900. I decided to trade one this spring to upgrade my daughter to a summit. I chose the Expedition sport as the machine to keep. It rides great 2 up and when it comes time to bush wack the Expedition leaves the Renegade behind.

#7 thomashood

thomashood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:29 PM

Couple of questions, are you going to be bushwacking with the wife or is she just riding with you while trail riding? My friend about your same age has a 2015 expedition sport with a 900 ace and he can ride it on the groomed trails as fast as the young guys with the shortys. At least till 80mph. I have a gade adrenaline 900 ace and i can't go through the bush breaking trail where he takes his expi. Mine is pretty darn good in the bush now that i put the 6.9  ski's on her thought but that extra longer track and deeper lug on the expi make a big difference.. If i was doing 20 - 30 % off trail bush wacking i think i would go with the expedition. Both are sweet machines, tough choice. I think i just muddied the waters , didn't really help you sorry.

Might have the wife and/or a buddy with me while bushwhacking - its actually a decent shot.  Glad to hear that it seems to ride the trails fine.  He doesn't find it "pushing" through the corners and requiring more arm work to drive?  That's awesome if he doesn't.  And yeah, its a tough choice.  Both are amazing machines.

I owned both a Renegade 900 and an Expedition 900. I decided to trade one this spring to upgrade my daughter to a summit. I chose the Expedition sport as the machine to keep. It rides great 2 up and when it comes time to bush wack the Expedition leaves the Renegade behind.

Awesome, thanks for that!  The Expedition seems to trail ride fine - no pushing, etc?  Just handles like a dream?  Fantastic.

Love this forum - greatly appreciate all the replies.

#8 renegade backcountry

renegade backcountry

Ride it like ya stole it

• DOOCrew
  • 3,355 posts
  • Interests:snowmobile and MOPARS
  • Sled:2016 BLK 1200X 129" 2015 BLK XRS

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

Leave the whimpy motor an go 1200 Enduro

#9 3inaline

3inaline

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts
  • Sled:2016 Gade XS 1200 Turbo

•    

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

If you are going to look the the Adrenaline, you should also look at the Enduro. With the AirRide rMotion you will not find a more comfortable riding or adjustable sled.

Would have been my first suggestion with a 900 Ace or 1200 4 stroke. Enduro is a nice sled.

My sleds

69 Nordic

73 TNT

81 Citation 4500

83 Citation 4500 SS

96 INDY 500

96 INDY 440 (hers)

2000 MXZ 600 (hers)

2000 MXZ 700

2001 MXZ 700

2003 MACHZ 800

2004 REV 800 (hers)

2007 MACHZ 1000

2008 XPX 800

2010 XRS 800

2011 XRS 800 etec

2012 BCX 800

2013 Gade X 1200 Turbo/ Motec

2016 Gade XS 1200 Turbo/Motec "stock compression"

#10 grandnational81

grandnational81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Interests:Drag Racing (1969 Chevelle), Shooting, R/C Cars
  • Sled:2015 Renegade XRS BLACK

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:56 PM

A heavy tank that sinks like a 1200 in deep snow is not where it's at, 1200'is a great trail machine, my brother has one. wife has the 900 ace. Great all around. Still feels like a 2 stroke handling wise.

#11 rayclar

rayclar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Interests:Sledding, ice fishing, golf, and ???
  • Sled:2016 renegade adrenaline 900 ace

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

Also the expedition has the articulating track at the rear so you really don't have that much more track on the snow when trail riding. And if you have to back up and turn around while bush wacking you can't beat that.

club > ssmtrailblazers.com

#12 renegade backcountry

renegade backcountry

Ride it like ya stole it

• DOOCrew
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:59 PM

not much weight difference in them. put 6.9 on them an go

#13 thomashood

thomashood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

Would have been my first suggestion with a 900 Ace or 1200 4 stroke. Enduro is a nice sled.

The enduro's a great sled, and the 1200's a great motor, but that's getting out of my budget range pretty hard :P  And the air-ride suspension, although awesome, is pricey if/when it dies.  Believe me, the temptation exists, but I'm trying to look at the best bang/back option for my personal needs.

#14 renegade backcountry

renegade backcountry

Ride it like ya stole it

• DOOCrew
  • 3,355 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

Have you tried to locate a left over?      alot of Blizzards an such were hanging around the shops for sale

#15 piston pete

piston pete

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:sledding, Dirt bikes And Land Cruisers ! !!!
  • Sled:15 FR' 154, 14 FR 146,,2012 M1100T 162

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:46 PM

Plennty a people riding the 900 expi on trail here in northern N,B, better off trail and two up ! 

STOCK SUCKS !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users