15 replies to this topic

#1 AlgomaHighlands

AlgomaHighlands

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Sled:16 Tundra LT, 07 Skandic LT

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:01 PM

Bought 2016 new non current Tundra LT 550 this fall. Finally got it out for its first ride on New years day. 

Snow conditions were great, but after hesitating at a tree across the trail i spun the track and buried it. This was with approx 30km on machine. After digging it out, it refused to start. No spark. 

I was by myself and started the 30 km walk back to my truck shaking my head. A group of very nice folks met me not far from my machine and towed me and my machine out of the bush.

Brought it to the dealer on the 3rd. They called me on the 4th saying it was CDI and ignition coil and warranty will cover it, parts are ordered.

CDI and ignition coil installed, machine ready on the 6th, drove it on trailer at dealership. 

Back home in driveway, machine wont start. No spark.

Brought it back to dealer today. No word back yet but getting frustrated. 

Posting because I havn't heard of any other 550f having early issues like this. I'll update when i get more info.

#2 TundraManDan

TundraManDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts
  • Sled:Tundras 06 144x16x2.3 & 94 151x15x1.25

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:39 AM

Bought 2016 new non current Tundra LT 550 this fall. Finally got it out for its first ride on New years day. 

Snow conditions were great, but after hesitating at a tree across the trail i spun the track and buried it. This was with approx 30km on machine. After digging it out, it refused to start. No spark. 

I was by myself and started the 30 km walk back to my truck shaking my head. A group of very nice folks met me not far from my machine and towed me and my machine out of the bush.

Brought it to the dealer on the 3rd. They called me on the 4th saying it was CDI and ignition coil and warranty will cover it, parts are ordered.

CDI and ignition coil installed, machine ready on the 6th, drove it on trailer at dealership. 

Back home in driveway, machine wont start. No spark.

Brought it back to dealer today. No word back yet but getting frustrated. 

Posting because I havn't heard of any other 550f having early issues like this. I'll update when i get more info.

That would be very frustrating.  I hope the dealer resolves the problem on the next attempt.

Dan

#3 AlgomaHighlands

AlgomaHighlands

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:25 PM

Update

Dealer called this morning.  Says the problem now was the battery. 

Im not convinced.

It cranked fine when i tried to start it on the trailer when it came back Friday but had no spark. It wouldn't pull start either but the dealer is saying that it is battery dependant and wont pull start unless battery is fully charged or disconnected?

Anyways, they put a new battery in and said its good to go.

I'm a little concerned this may not be the root cause, and will have trust issues for a while but I'm going to get it tomorrow and give it another try.

#4 TundraManDan

TundraManDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

Update

Dealer called this morning.  Says the problem now was the battery. 

Im not convinced.

It cranked fine when i tried to start it on the trailer when it came back Friday but had no spark. It wouldn't pull start either but the dealer is saying that it is battery dependant and wont pull start unless battery is fully charged or disconnected?

Anyways, they put a new battery in and said its good to go.

I'm a little concerned this may not be the root cause, and will have trust issues for a while but I'm going to get it tomorrow and give it another try.

That does not sound right.

#5 Jusipi

Jusipi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Fishing boating guiding
  • Sled:2014 expedition sport 900

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

could it be your trottle to tight.

#6 AlgomaHighlands

AlgomaHighlands

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:58 PM

Okay, couldn't wait for tomorrow. too excited, lots of snow so i called dealer, took off work an hour early and headed to grab sled. ( 30 min drive to dealer )

They called me back when i was half way there to say they cant get it started again, but since I was half way, to come out and we'll have a talk about it. 

So I did.

Brought me out to talk to the mechanic, he said that it must be a fuel problem. Something in the fuel that when its cold it wont pass thru? Maybe water. "Did you sink it? " 

I'm a calm person, but now I'm upset. There are 30km on the sled. All above sea level.

When I went in to talk to the Owner of the dealership he defended the mechanic and said they get lied to often.

When I said I'm tired of the trial and error approach and want a machine that runs, he said they plan to keep working on it, and gave me BRP's customer service number if i wanted something else done.

#7 TundraManDan

TundraManDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:08 PM

Wow - bouncing around from electrical to gas problem.  That machine should start with the pull cord and with the battery disconnected. They should be able to determine whether or not it is getting gas.  I mean simply manually prime it and see if it starts.  If it does, then the problem is fuel.  Good luck with this!

#8 Albertatrapper

Albertatrapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Sled:15 expy sport 600 ace

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

It sounds like the mech maybe doesn't really know how to trouble shoot a machine...30km, I wouldn't be happy either.
Loose wire on the tether cord/kill switch anywhere is what iam thinking.

#9 AlgomaHighlands

AlgomaHighlands

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

Update

No longer a fuel issue. Todays fix was replacing a 30amp fuse that was "dirty" 

Machine is said to be running fine now but not to pick it up til tomorrow to be sure.

I was frustrated enough to call BRP who told me that no tech support was requested in this case and that they will not get involved unless help is requested.  They suggested going to a different dealer if I wasn't satisfied with the service I was getting. Called next dealer over (1.5 hrs away)  just to see what their thoughts were. They were not that eager to troubleshoot a sled they didn't sell. He did say he would look at it, but it would be two weeks before they had time.

So I'll see in the morning i guess. 

#10 Tundra 300

Tundra 300

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:HDT, trapper, hunter, fishing
  • Sled:1200 GTX, Tundra 550F, 380 GT

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:36 AM

The sled will start and run without the battery installed or the DIRTY fused installed. It is only for the electric start system!

Check the kill switch and dess wiring, connections. I have seen the wiring pinched between the handle bar clamps causing intermittent issues.

And fuel problem will never cause no spark issue, wow! 

Your dealer needs to trouble shoot his mechanic.....

Triple thumper...

#11 AlgomaHighlands

AlgomaHighlands

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:30 AM

The sled will start and run without the battery installed or the DIRTY fused installed. It is only for the electric start system!

Check the kill switch and dess wiring, connections. I have seen the wiring pinched between the handle bar clamps causing intermittent issues.

And fuel problem will never cause no spark issue, wow! 

Your dealer needs to trouble shoot his mechanic.....

No dess on Tundra just tether but yeah agreed.

I called this morning before heading to pick it up and guess what; the fuse didnt fix it. Sled wont run this morning. 

I called BRP for 2nd time and was happy to hear dealer has put in a request for tech support to BRP. Rep on phone told me to wait a day or two while their techs work with dealer mechanic.

#12 freestylebackcountry

freestylebackcountry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Sled:Freestyle Backcountry

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:04 PM

I have an 07 and an 09 550F Freestyle Backcopuntry. As far as I know all the 550F hasn't changed in years and is the same on all sleds.  I currently have what we believe is a bad starter on my 07. Long story but bottom line is even if no battery and/or blown fuse, you can start it by pulling. Battery and fuses are only for e-start.

I had a problem a couple of times several years back that sounds somethin like yours. Fortunately I never got stranded. Both times happened in the yard after riding. Turned macnine off.  Then tried to start. Nothing - as if the key was off. Try as I might it wouldn't start. I thought, no spark.  Bad coil, witing, etc.  I think one time I let it sit and much later or the next day it started no problem and ran fine for weeks or more. Second time no such luck .Took to dealer. They said it was a fuel/carb problem, not electrical. Don't remember exact diagnosis.

#13 AlgomaHighlands

AlgomaHighlands

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 07:35 AM

Update

So nearly 3 weeks after machine died, I got word its good to go.

Changed kill switch and gauge.

Found it strange that doing this Zero'd the mileage on the sled?

Started fine, and ran good first time back out, and BRP added a year to the warranty. 

#14 Hardwoods

Hardwoods

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Sled:'07 Tundra 300, '16 Exp. Sport 600ACE

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for the update. It sounds very frustrating to lose three weeks of use of a brand new sled in the heart of winter. Good to hear it's running again. Enjoy your new sled. Hope to see more posts and pictures of happier times. 

#15 AlgomaHighlands

AlgomaHighlands

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:53 AM

Well another 23 miles and it died again.  

Same issue. No spark

Brought it in and heard the words i wanted to hear.

"We'll get you a new one"

Havn't worked out details yet but happy to be done with lemon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users