#196 MidwestMike

MidwestMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Sled:2014 GSX SE 1200

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

Politics in the club is a problem.  It would be more than worth it to just pay the extra $20/sled for the permit.  Let someone else to all the work.  Problem is if everyone felt that way, we wouldn't have trails.

One of the clubs I belong to commented on Facebook how they are about to hit 500 members. I stated I assumed that is Facebook members, and the response was yes, that there are only about 40 due paying members in the club.

500 people, mostly right across the state boarder, asking every day about weather and trail conditions, when is a good time come up, etc., but less than 10% of them can bother helping out the club.

I know everyone buys trail stickers, but that money gets spread all around the state, and I'm sure a lesser amount of it is spent in southern lower Michigan.

#197 HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Interests:I like to disect the lies that yamaha 4s snowmobile owners put forth.
  • Sled:015gsxse011gade1200 f-8 lxr apex iq

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:54 PM

I truly believe this will be an epidemic and may even kill this sport, our club is in the same predicament.

Most millenials don't prefer groomed trail anyways....just point them to some hill with snow on it and they're good. No need for groomers, gas stations, trial networks.....just air support lol

Yamaha apex; "You cant feel the weight"- LMAO.

#198 tic

tic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,669 posts
  • Interests:sleds, motorcycles, boats, flying, skiing
  • Sled:13/ GSX-SE 1200

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:29 PM

i bought a 550 mxzx fan because of the climate concerns.   and an 02 800 mxz for good snow and cold.     i live on il wis border and its worse this year from a left over elnino issue.    we are in the snow belt and on a chain o lakes .  last year got one ride on the lake and sunk it the second time.  this year no lake rides.    id say wait and see if things go back to normal next year and maybe get a fan so you dont have the liquid cooled temp concerns.    it could be 40 deg w beat up trails and i can ride the fan.

You can do the same with the aux radiator kit on the 1200's. I've ridden 5mi. on dry pavement on a warm day and the sled never went above 4 bars on the temp gauge. Of course the 550 fan has the advantage of lower cost and lighter weight. 10,000mi. on my 1200 with the aux rad and the temp light has never come on and it's never been above 4 bars. Lot's of low/no snow riding too

QUOTE (wreckless @ Dec 29 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just because someone makes their sled loud doesn't mean trails are closing. I can make my sled as loud as i want to. I'm half tempted to run the loudest set of pipes I can just to irritate people

#199 Gas-on

Gas-on

Cookie Monster

• DOOCrew
  • 16,702 posts
  • Interests:Making sweaters from belly button lint.
    Eating cookies.
  • Sled:'13 Ren Adr '14 Summit Sp '15 Ren Adr

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:42 AM

I think half if not more of the DooCrew has hung it up within the last 2-3 years?

Awhile back I made a list of pros and cons of sledding just incase I thought about giving up on it or trying to convince myself it was worth it.

Cons:

Cost.

Weather.

Brand insecurity from other sledders.

General population of dbags with general overall dbagerry.

Insurance.

Pros:

Pulling the throttle.

Tinkering with the sleds in a warm shop sipping beers.

A reason for new tools.

Two-stroke smoke.

Pals.

Meeting new riders.

Making fun of new riders.

Road trips.

Accessories.

Showing off to poor people.

Helmet cam footage.

Feeling sore the next day and remembering why.

Crappy lodging.

Awesome lodging.

Comradity.

Using the sled to go get the mail.

Using the sled to go get dinner or lunch.

Using the sled to go get fire wood.

Towing kids around behind it and face washing them.

Laughing.

The raging b***** you get riding a nice sled.

Humping the ol lady on the curiously comfortable seat of the new sleds.

Watching the ol lady almost destroy sled in the yard. (You break it you buy it)

Listening to my pops giggle when he rides my sleds.

Listening to my pops giggle while he's watching helmet cam footage.

Planning trips with pals/family.

The scenery.

Having an excuse NOT to see family.

The dealerships.

The parts guys.

This site.

Making fun of other brands.

wheelies.

Friendship of sledder pals through out the year.

Talking about sledding in the summer time to try to cool off.

Peeing in the middle of the woods.

Figuring out where to eat.

Boozing with pals after riding.

Getting other people into the sport.

Trying new gear.

That new sled smell.

Waxing someone in a drag race.

Fires seem warmer after a day of riding.

Putting on a fresh pair of socks after a long day of riding.

Crapping your pants because you didn't let go of the throttle.

Putting on new underpants after a long day of riding.

Those sketchy moments climbing a hill.

Getting buried.

Everyone always knows what to get you for holidays.

How cool people are when you break something.

Out running packs of wild dogs.

Befriending wild dogs and training them to chase other riders who found your spot.

Finding a new spot.

Wearing your helmet into the gas station and talking like darth vader. "Ksshh.. Keep the change lady."

Washing your sled because you've already done everything else to it and you just want to touch it.

Firing up the sled and forgetting to open the garage door.

The new parts catalog in the mail.

Riding somewhere just to get away from everyone/everything

The fresh winter air.

The size of your forearms after a season of sledding.

Telling chicks/dudes no cus you're taken already.

Having chicks mention you smell of two-stroke and then taking their clothes off.

Drawing inappropriate things in huge fields with your sled so people in airplanes can see it.

Swap meets.

Sled shows.

Telling everyone what you like and don't like about the new line-up.

So many more reasons...

*All posts by Gas-on are irrelevant and a waste of time. Read at your own risk. You may never get that time back. Did you hear something?
"There are no real winners in the game of life" skno 1-4-2013

"I never take baths, but last time I had two women i made an exception..." Fundoo 6-19-2014

#200 bar549

bar549

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:#1 - Wife & Daughters, WKA Kart Racing, Nascar, Drag Racing, Slot Cars, Machining
  • Sled:2016 Blizzard 900 ACE

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

Its the dirt bags that ruin it and they are getting better at it every year (trail closures). I do love you Pros and Cons.

#201 tic

tic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,669 posts
  • Interests:sleds, motorcycles, boats, flying, skiing
  • Sled:13/ GSX-SE 1200

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:56 AM

If I sold my sleds and we had a good winter I just couldn't take it. I'd turn into my neighbors who do nothing but stay inside and complain  for 4 months

QUOTE (wreckless @ Dec 29 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just because someone makes their sled loud doesn't mean trails are closing. I can make my sled as loud as i want to. I'm half tempted to run the loudest set of pipes I can just to irritate people

#202 Gas-on

Gas-on

Cookie Monster

• DOOCrew
  • 16,702 posts
  • Interests:Making sweaters from belly button lint.
    Eating cookies.
  • Sled:'13 Ren Adr '14 Summit Sp '15 Ren Adr

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:01 AM

:rofl

*All posts by Gas-on are irrelevant and a waste of time. Read at your own risk. You may never get that time back. Did you hear something?
"There are no real winners in the game of life" skno 1-4-2013

"I never take baths, but last time I had two women i made an exception..." Fundoo 6-19-2014

#203 XP123

XP123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,203 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, Golf and being a Grandpa
  • Sled:2016 Renegade 1200X

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:04 AM

If I sold my sleds and we had a good winter I just couldn't take it. I'd turn into my neighbors who do nothing but stay inside and complain  for 4 months

I'm with you Tic. I've been riding sleds for over 50 years, its been a big part of my life. My Wife was 15 years old and I was 19 when I gave her  her first snowmobile ride. That was on my brand spanking new 1974 Snow Jet 650 Sabre Jet. We have been riding together ever since and we never missed a year except when she was pregnant twice but that didn't stop me. Last year and this year are lousy Winters but two years ago was one of our best. We have had great years here and there along with crappy ones but I will take the good with the bad.

I don't like what I ride because I own it.
I own what I ride because I like it.

#204 skidont

skidont

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts
  • Sled:2016 900 Blizzard

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:53 PM

I will quit when skidoo comes with a big turbo 4 stroke cause by that point I should be dead  Lol

#205 rustinpeace

rustinpeace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Sled:09 mxz-x 550f and 02 mxz 800

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:56 AM

haha   love list of pros   

#206 DooDown87

DooDown87

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,554 posts
  • Sled:2016 Blizzard

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:24 AM

I will never quit the sport.  But I went from 2000+ miles seasons to having to travel and travel to find snow resulting in very low mile seasons.  While I agree with people that it's as simple as chasing the snow with the truck and trailer, I did not get into this sport to chase snow. I got into back when I rode from my home and camp all the time. I cannot see myself buying new sleds, gear, etc like I ever did before. I don't need it anymore. I'm sure I'm not the only one. How will the dealers and manufacturers make it like this? 

It's about the same to me as this, theoretically speaking lets say you live on a lake and have a boat and tons of water sports stuff buying new stuff every year from the dealer.  Then the lake goes dry. How many around that lake will keep buying the boats and new water toys vs how many would get out of it?  The boat dealers and manufacturers will highly suffer with the more lakes that dry up. 

"Sometimes a big step back is the biggest step forward"

#207 XP123

XP123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,203 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiling, Golf and being a Grandpa
  • Sled:2016 Renegade 1200X

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:58 PM

It's about the same to me as this, theoretically speaking lets say you live on a lake and have a boat and tons of water sports stuff buying new stuff every year from the dealer.  Then the lake goes dry. How many around that lake will keep buying the boats and new water toys vs how many would get out of it?  The boat dealers and manufacturers will highly suffer with the more lakes that dry up. 

This is what happened in California and it has been like that for years. Now they better go out and buy new boats because the lakes are back.

I don't like what I ride because I own it.
I own what I ride because I like it.

#208 snow dance

snow dance

True happiness is never trying a sled better than your own.

• DOOCrew
  • 13,078 posts
  • Interests:I have no interest.Take a hint.Really,quit creeping my profile.It's all lies anyway.
  • Sled:GT Snowracer with sweet graphics

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:41 PM

:rofl

Nice list. Wearing the helmet into the bank is also a good time. Taking it off and just wearing a balaclava can also be......interesting.

#209 rrguy

rrguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sled:mxz 440

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:55 PM

I think you kind of gave yourself the answer? IMO if you don't get much use & making payments Id unload when the timing is good & find something you can pay cash for? That's why I like keeping a couple older sleds  get  some snow an enjoy. If not im not making payments on something that's sitting there? I know its hard to go from newer sled that handles awesome an feels good jumping or whatever you do but that's my compromise. I'm actually thinking of getting something a little newer again if the price is right.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users