• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#1 DooingInAK

DooingInAK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Why is this even a question?
  • Sled:2012 Renegade Back Country

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:05 AM

First, I love winter and sledding. I look forward to it every year. All summer I can't wait to get out there and find that little slice of heaven. There is nothing like hanging with your buddies and going places a four wheeler or side by side can't go in the summer. I'm just curious how many people have been thinking about letting it go. The past few winters we just have not had the snow. I can understand having a sled that is paid for and waiting but those of us that have machines that we make payments on I wonder if it is worth it anymore to ride 4-5 times if we are lucky. I don't do the mnt thing as it seems where the snow is. I'm not confident enough and the thought of avalanches scares the crap out of me, even with the right gear. How many of you are feeling this way? The prices of these new sleds just doesn't justify it anymore until I see more snow on the ground.

#2 Mach189

Mach189

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,735 posts
  • Sled:89 Mach1 05 GSX 500ss

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:11 AM

Why do you have to have a NEW sled? The 05 is treating me right, if it doesn't run right it is because of something(s) I did/modified/added.

But yes, if I can travel 7 hours in one direction, grab throttle for a few days, for me, it makes it worth it.

Thats just me though.

#3 rev2xheart

rev2xheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:12 AM

I am starting to feel this way as well.  When I was younger living back home I was out at least once a week every possible week.  Now with work and limited vacation days coupled with the long drive to the mountains, having to find someone to ride with, and just the overall cost of going it makes me wonder if its even worth having a sled anymore.  It doesn't help that the last few season the snow has not been what it was.

My sled is paid for and really I wouldn't get much for it if I sold it so I keep it.  I guess a few rides a year is better than nothing.

#4 ttrein

ttrein

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Sled:2015 Renegade X 1200

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:14 AM

Yep, feel the same. Unfortunately I know/feel that the minute I sold everything the snow would fly. That's why I bought a 4 stroke. Going to keep it a long time and I'll upgrade someday if the snow comes back consistently. Until then I'll just keep this thing maintained and do my yearly trip or two. With a family I can't trailer every weekend.

#5 siccfish

siccfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Sled:mach z

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:15 AM

First, I love winter and sledding. I look forward to it every year. All summer I can't wait to get out there and find that little slice of heaven. There is nothing like hanging with your buddies and going places a four wheeler or side by side can't go in the summer. I'm just curious how many people have been thinking about letting it go. The past few winters we just have not had the snow. I can understand having a sled that is paid for and waiting but those of us that have machines that we make payments on I wonder if it is worth it anymore to ride 4-5 times if we are lucky. I don't do the mnt thing as it seems where the snow is. I'm not confident enough and the thought of avalanches scares the crap out of me, even with the right gear. How many of you are feeling this way? The prices of these new sleds just doesn't justify it anymore until I see more snow on the ground.

Feeling the same..i dream about slefin in the summer only to get let down geting to lazzy to find snow

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

#6 DooingInAK

DooingInAK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:30 AM

Why do you have to have a NEW sled? The 05 is treating me right, if it doesn't run right it is because of something(s) I did/modified/added.
But yes, if I can travel 7 hours in one direction, grab throttle for a few days, for me, it makes it worth it.
Thats just me though.

That's what meant about us that pay payments. If mine was fully paid for I wouldn't really mind. If it was, I probably would just hold onto it for those few days of the year but as we all know, the older they get the more care we need to put into them. Do I really want to throw parts at it for a couple of rides? I would love to get something newer, I just can't justify it.

#7 DooOver

DooOver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, Flying, Hunting, Fishing. Anything with a motor or outside.
  • Sled:Skidoo Renegade XRS

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:38 AM

Yeah its depressing when we have no now. Its going to be cold til Wednesday in Maine, then warm up to almost 50 and rain all day wed.  :sad_old:  :mad_old:

2016 Ski-doo Renegade XRS 800

1989 Yamaha Sno Scoot (x2)

1999 Ski-doo MXZ 600 (sold)

2004 Ski-doo REV MXZ 600 (sold)

2003 Arctic Cat ZL 550 (sold)

1996 Arctic Cat Puma 340 (sold)

1995 Arctic Cat Kitty Kat (sold)

#8 dramey

dramey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Sled:2012 Summit Sport 600

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:01 AM

All the areas around me are opening up for sledding, Johnson's Pass, Turnagain Pass, Carter Lake, Snug Harbor, South Fork Snow River Corridor, Summit Lake and Caribou Hills.  I can't go sledding until I get over this pneumonia.  The Doc tells me I will be over it by the end of the month.  If avalanches scare you, then take a class.  There is a class tomorrow in Turnagain Pass.

Edited by dramey, 07 January 2017 - 01:03 AM.

#9 CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,120 posts
  • Sled:**Starting to be Too Many**

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:01 AM

No Spring chicken here anymore. Don't like those eight hour one way rides just to find snow either. A couple of minor health issues takes some of the fun out of it too. The energy isn't there like it was just a couple of years ago. At least all of my sleds are low mile sleds but still getting older every year.......LOL

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress: but I repeat myself"-Mark Twain 

#10 rev800guy225

rev800guy225

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Sled:2004 mxz rev 800

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:18 AM

Guess I'm lucky because where I live (not in the mountains) we get consistent snow, but I also don't have a sled on payments...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#11 DooingInAK

DooingInAK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:21 AM

All the areas around me are opening up for sledding, Johnson's Pass, Turnagain Pass, Carter Lake, Snug Harbor, South Fork Snow River Corridor, Summit Lake and Caribou Hills.  I can't go sledding until I get over this pneumonia.  The Doc tells me I will be over it by the end of the month.  If avalanches scare you, then take a class.  There is a class tomorrow in Turnagain Pass.

Thanks for the that! I'm aware of a some of those areas being open but like I said it scares me. Maybe,I should take a class and see what it's all about. I've never ridden Turny and Johnsons for that reason. I usually ride Eureka and Willow,Cantwell and Pville. I like playing in the flats but it just seems lately anything off trail hasn't been worth the trip.

#12 dramey

dramey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Sled:2012 Summit Sport 600

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:35 AM

http://www.cnfaic.or...ies/current.php  They check them everyday for avalanche danger.  They have an avalanche class tomorrow at 5:30 pm at the Flats Bistro in Kenai. Info on the class http://www.cnfaic.or...ation-workshop/

Edited by dramey, 07 January 2017 - 01:42 AM.

#13 DooingInAK

DooingInAK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:48 AM

Thank you. I've been reading this site and BCR and not a whole lot of info has been passed.

#14 Minnesota FreeRide

Minnesota FreeRide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Boating, Scuba Diving and anything to do with Isle Royale NP

Code for $10.00 discount on Beartooth!!!

http://ssqt.co/MGYz

(Copy to your browser)
  • Sled:2012 FreeRide 13,423 miles as of 1/29/17

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:23 AM

DooingInAK I hear what you are saying. Person that took me out west the first time drilled into me that there are tons of snow to be found without being under the threat of a slide. (Pick your routes to get to them) Class is a great idea to find out more and get the thought process going!

Not to "scare you" more but just about any area can be an issue, that small "hill" with a cornice at the top is all it takes if you get under it and it lets go from "playing with it". . .(Does not need to be a long "chute" just needs to be enough snow on top of you to keep you pinned, sort of like water does not need to be 10 feet deep to drown in)

You can learn about which routes offer the most protection and help deduce your risk exposure and areas to avoid crossing like "terrain traps" which if you are caught in them it makes even less likely to survive.

When you find that little slice of heaven, be sure to spend enough time there to overcome the long wait to find it!!!

Weather has got to come around right?

Think Snow,

Ride Right.

Frost 083

#15 DooingInAK

DooingInAK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:43 AM

DooingInAK I hear what you are saying. Person that took me out west the first time drilled into me that there are tons of snow to be found without being under the threat of a slide. (Pick your routes to get to them) Class is a great idea to find out more and get the thought process going!

Not to "scare you" more but just about any area can be an issue, that small "hill" with a cornice at the top is all it takes if you get under it and it lets go from "playing with it". . .(Does not need to be a long "chute" just needs to be enough snow on top of you to keep you pinned, sort of like water does not need to be 10 feet deep to drown in)

You can learn about which routes offer the most protection and help deduce your risk exposure and areas to avoid crossing like "terrain traps" which if you are caught in them it makes even less likely to survive.

When you find that little slice of heaven, be sure to spend enough time there to overcome the long wait to find it!!!

Weather has got to come around right?

I think what has got me scared is the horror stories. I grew up riding in WI and did nothing but trail riding. Alaska has been such an eye opener for me. I don't want to knock anyone but it wasn't till I got here and road off trail that it really opened my eyes what kind of a rider I was. When you go from flat fast highways to learning how to navigate open country and learning to turn the opposite way you want to go is so much different. Also, before I got here the last sled was an 87 exciter. Not the best off trail sled. Lol. Still miss that robot looking creation. To be honest I get so bored on trails anymore. I've never ridden high elevations before. Did some hill climbing but not to the extent that I needed to be worried. The guys I rode with here had the same fears so I guess I just have been taking baby steps. I know lots of guys go out and are perfectly fine. I think a class will be my next step, get some gear and then find someone to go with that don't mind teaching me a thing or two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users