42 replies to this topic

#1 Addi503

Addi503

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Sled:2016 summit

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:06 PM

First time being on a forum. I need help figuring out what happened Sunday. I have a 2016 summit 800 that only has less than 200 miles on it. We were riding the groomed trail on the way back to the truck and passed some snow shoers, one of my guys got held up so I stopped to wait for him. When he got going and saw me I hit the throttle and the sled went full pin but I had completely let off the throttle and actually even pulled out on it so it wasn't frozen. I pulled the brake but that did nothing. I would like to think I would have hit kill switch but it didn't occur to me in all the confusion and me and the sled blasted through some trees and totaled sled and sprained ligaments in my knee. The friend that was behind me said he smelled burning electrical really strong from where I was sitting when I first took off. I have searched online and asked everyone I know and can't seem to figure it out. I dropped sled at service department for insurance inspection but I dont care if they total it or think they can fix it I just want to know why it would happen. I have no knowledge of etecs and efi or electronics, but I know it was a malfunction of something and would really appreciate any help or like stories from someone on here.

#2 Skandic Wide Track

Skandic Wide Track

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Sled:1995 skandic wt

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

Wow, crazy, no idea but glad ur ok!

#3 rtk

rtk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Sled:skidoo

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:20 PM

another reason for always using a tether glad no body was hurt the sled can be fixed or replaced

#4 dc76

dc76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts
  • Sled:A Poo and a backup Doo :)

•    

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:34 PM

Are you sure the burning smell wasn't the sliders?

#5 snow dance

snow dance

True happiness is never trying a sled better than your own.

• DOOCrew
  • 13,344 posts
  • Interests:I have no interest.Take a hint.Really,quit creeping my profile.It's all lies anyway.
  • Sled:GT Snowracer with sweet graphics

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:49 PM

First time being on a forum. I need help figuring out what happened Sunday. I have a 2016 summit 800 that only has less than 200 miles on it. We were riding the groomed trail on the way back to the truck and passed some snow shoers, one of my guys got held up so I stopped to wait for him. When he got going and saw me I hit the throttle and the sled went full pin but I had completely let off the throttle and actually even pulled out on it so it wasn't frozen. I pulled the brake but that did nothing. I would like to think I would have hit kill switch but it didn't occur to me in all the confusion and me and the sled blasted through some trees and totaled sled and sprained ligaments in my knee. The friend that was behind me said he smelled burning electrical really strong from where I was sitting when I first took off. I have searched online and asked everyone I know and can't seem to figure it out. I dropped sled at service department for insurance inspection but I dont care if they total it or think they can fix it I just want to know why it would happen. I have no knowledge of etecs and efi or electronics, but I know it was a malfunction of something and would really appreciate any help or like stories from someone on here.

You should contact a BRP rep asap. I would think they would be very interested in finding a cause for a run away sled with the throttle stuck.

#6 IcutMetl

IcutMetl

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,982 posts
  • Interests:Boating, snowmobiling, machining, my dogs, and living life
  • Sled:2005 Mach Z 1000 2016 Freeride 137"

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:40 PM

You should contact a BRP rep asap. I would think they would be very interested in finding a cause for a run away sled with the throttle stuck.

Right; I'd be surprised if they weren't all over that!

#7 Addi503

Addi503

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:18 PM

I am not sure if it was the sliders, he said he smelled it where I was sitting before it ran away and he said it was a definite electrical smell. I told the head tech at the shop about it and he couldn't think of anything electronic that would cause a full throttle effect. I was riding with 8 other guys, including a 2012, 2015,and 2 other 2016 summits and mine was the only one that had issue so I don't see it being weather or temperature related. Should I just call BRP to find out who is the rep for my area?

#8 Valonmxz

Valonmxz

Mainway Solutions Inc.

• Sponsors
  • 1,916 posts
  • Interests:Riding, Machining, Rebuilding
    Family and Friends
    Noahonmxz Briggsonmxz
  • Sled:2012 MXZ X e-tech 800

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:33 PM

I'd be surprised if they even look at it. That would assume they knew something

Did the sled start and run afterwards? Did the throttle act up again?

mw-flash.gif

Bronze Bushings / Stainless Axles / New Bolts

MSK01.jpg MSK02.jpg MSK03.jpg MSHK01-1.jpg

Upcoming Events :.....:      :smile_old: 

#9 Addi503

Addi503

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:52 PM

The sled never ran again, we took the belt off and towed it to the truck. One ski was folded in half and all the plastic and gauges were in pieces. The bars were laying on the gas tank. The seat even broke off, the steering column and pillar bars were grenaded too

#10 DooOver

DooOver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, Flying, Hunting, Fishing. Anything with a motor or outside.
  • Sled:Skidoo Renegade XRS

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:35 AM

That sucks. Do you have a pic?

2016 Ski-doo Renegade XRS 800

1989 Yamaha Sno Scoot (x2)

1999 Ski-doo MXZ 600 (sold)

2004 Ski-doo REV MXZ 600 (sold)

2003 Arctic Cat ZL 550 (sold)

1996 Arctic Cat Puma 340 (sold)

1995 Arctic Cat Kitty Kat (sold)

#11 Addi503

Addi503

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:00 AM

I do have pictures but I know as much about posting pics as I do about diagnosing stuck throttles. Zero

#12 Valonmxz

Valonmxz

Mainway Solutions Inc.

• Sponsors
  • 1,916 posts
  • Interests:Riding, Machining, Rebuilding
    Family and Friends
    Noahonmxz Briggsonmxz
  • Sled:2012 MXZ X e-tech 800

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:12 AM

The sled never ran again, we took the belt off and towed it to the truck. One ski was folded in half and all the plastic and gauges were in pieces. The bars were laying on the gas tank. The seat even broke off, the steering column and pillar bars were grenaded too

Well I glad your not broken like that sled.. :smile_old:  The rhubarb finds me more often than not at times without a stuck throttle. 

mw-flash.gif

Bronze Bushings / Stainless Axles / New Bolts

MSK01.jpg MSK02.jpg MSK03.jpg MSHK01-1.jpg

Upcoming Events :.....:      :smile_old: 

#13 stmike

stmike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:all the big boys toys
  • Sled:2014 800etec BC 2018 summit X 154

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:56 AM

The motor should of shut off with a stuck throttle,it is strange it did not. 

#14 stevo9

stevo9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Sled:2016 MxZ X 600

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:14 AM

another reason for always using a tether glad no body was hurt the sled can be fixed or replaced

If the situation was so tense that he couldn't think to hit the kill switch why would he have been able to pull the teather. Sounds like he didn't depart from the sled until it was too late
Past sleds:
1979 John Deere Spitfire
1997 MxZ 670
2002 MxZ 600
2013 MxZ X 600

#15 mxz601

mxz601

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Oct 1st thru Nov 30
    Golf, Working Deer Food Plots
    Shooting My Bow
    Snowmobile When We Have Snow
    MSA Member
  • Sled:2016 1200 Renegade X & 2008 MXZ 500SS

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:19 AM

If the situation was so tense that he couldn't think to hit the kill switch why would he have been able to pull the teather. Sounds like he didn't depart from the sled until it was too late

The tether is supposed to be attached to the rider so when you fall off it pulls the DSS out thus killing the engine.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users