Photo

Looking for advice on Tundra or Skandic.

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 Berserker

Berserker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, sleds, hunting, SXS
  • Sled:2015 Skandic WT 900 ACE

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:31 PM

I hate to have one of those pick my sled threads. But I am thinking about Tundra LT and Skandic  wt or SWT, 600 ACE, 600 etec, or 900 ACE. I am wondering if the 600 ACE will not have enough power in deep snow or trail, and if skandic will be to heavy.

I used to ride trails on a short track, but always liked getting off. I am tired of getting stuck. I haven't rode in 7 years. I wanted more suspension then my 2000 600 triple Polaris, tired of getting beat up. 

I now have camp near Lake Superior, snow country. I am thinking something to go play in the woods, some logging roads, late season hunting. Been spending lots of time on trapping forums, though I don't trap. I suspect I will be drawn somewhat back to trail riding just not as fast and hard as I ued. I would like to be able to go 60ish. Is that to fast for utility sled?

I was surprised how short of paddles they got. People I know all have RMKs. I have read e-techs are more to maintain. I was surprised for 2 stroke. At one time I said I was holding out for 4 stroke.  Though now I have some many vehicles that need oil changes I get tired of it.

I never cared much for riding 2 up.  But the old sled seats were long enough you could if you wanted to once in awhile.  Which is a plus for skandic. 

I don't think I will be hauling anything heavy.  Maybe a sled with a deer in it,  chainsaw or hunting gear.  

Thanks for help.

Used to be there was a way to do things...and things got done.
No room for whining, no room for mistakes.
Now, everybody's feelings are involved
A guy steps wrong now, he ends up on the witness stand... or on the ####in' Barbara Walters.

#2 Newfiebullett

Newfiebullett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  • Interests:Sleds, bikes, birds and sometimes fishing.
  • Sled:Expedition LE 900

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:36 AM

Sounds to me like you need an Expedition 900. 

The wider tracks aren't too heavy for off-trail, the extra flotation allows you to actually stop in deep snow, and to back up without getting stuck, something that's much more difficult to do on a skinny track. 

If you actually start trail riding you'll be happy to have the front end of the Expedition rather than the pogo sticks of the Skandic. The Exped is, to my mind, the best of both worlds, able to handle trails and off-trail equally well. 

#3 snow expedition

snow expedition

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Snowmobiles, hunting and fishing
  • Sled:Expy 600 ho SDI XM SP 154 600 E-tec 15

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:05 AM

X2 :righton

The Swede

#4 Ontrapper

Ontrapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Sled:1994 tundra, 1997 summit

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:29 AM

X3
Expy sport 900 with wide ski skins or skis

#5 Berserker

Berserker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:48 AM

What is difference? I haven't thought about expeditions.

Another factor is I am seeing 2016 tundras and skandics. But either way big purchase.

A guy steps wrong now, he ends up on the witness stand... or on the ####in' Barbara Walters.

#6 suv1

suv1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts
  • Interests:Updated sled list!!!! 2010 V800SWT/////2014 600ACEWT/////2016900SWT///////2013 600ACESWT///
  • Sled:"16/900SWT/V800SWT600skandic600 ACEWT

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:04 AM

The expedition sport has 16" track, the expy LE/SE has the 20", better flotation, also the SE/LE has a better front suspension for trail riding, the skandic pogo front suspension is a bit better in the woods/deep snow maneuverability. 

Updated sled list!!!!   ////2010 V800SWT

////2013 600ACESWT

////2014 600ACEWT

////2016 900ACESWT

#7 Biglandrider

Biglandrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • Sled:2015 900 ACE SWT

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:46 AM

You'll hear varied opinions when you start a thread like this, but I agree that an Expedition is what you need.  I've never heard a bad thing said about the expedition Sport (16" wide) 900 ACE and would love to have one as a second machine.  Cheaper to buy, operate and maintain.  Capable on/off trail, can tow a decent load and just an all around great machine(and so much lighter).  If you want to go a little deeper off trail and haul bigger loads then the SE/LE is the right choice.  Unless you want to go hard core off trail like many of us, there is no need for a Skandic (either WT or SWT) or even a tundra.  These are purpose built machines and are not great on trail.  Better than your old triple, but far from the top for any sort of trail riding.  We rely on our pogo machines because we are almost always breaking trail through rocks, stumps etc so the chances of getting hung up (and potentially busting an A arm) are eliminated.  Also, I almost always have something in tow and once you have experienced what a SWT can do it's hard to go back to a 20" wide.  Many of us have a couple of machines or access to a couple of different setups so we can pick and chose based on conditions and what we are setting out to do.  I think either of the expeditions would work well for you.  Your best option is to actually test drive them if that is in fact an option at all.  It's worth knowing what you are spending your hard earned money on. 

#8 Berserker

Berserker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

2 sleds would be the way to go, and may happen over time. Right now I am thinking of using like I do my 4 wheeler and go through the woods. But I suspect at some tone I will get on a trail again.

While I realize anything can get stuck, what drew me to these was the idea going through snow.

Is a 16" going to be able to float in the woods, or just wide open in deep snow? I have no experience with long tracks.

I have thought about picking up old tundra to putz around in woods, and then use money for something for trails. I just don't know if I feel screwing another old machine. I've had my triple's engine on kitchen counter, but these days it would probably sit for awhile.

I spend a lot of time 4 wheeling and thought this could something for winter.

#9 suv1

suv1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts
  • Interests:Updated sled list!!!! 2010 V800SWT/////2014 600ACEWT/////2016900SWT///////2013 600ACESWT///
  • Sled:"16/900SWT/V800SWT600skandic600 ACEWT

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:03 PM

Put aside all the ifs and buts and go with the Skandic, SE or LE, you can't go wrong with either one IMO. 

Updated sled list!!!!   ////2010 V800SWT

////2013 600ACESWT

////2014 600ACEWT

////2016 900ACESWT

#10 Newfiebullett

Newfiebullett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:47 PM

2 sleds would be the way to go, and may happen over time. Right now I am thinking of using like I do my 4 wheeler and go through the woods. But I suspect at some tone I will get on a trail again.

While I realize anything can get stuck, what drew me to these was the idea going through snow.

Is a 16" going to be able to float in the woods, or just wide open in deep snow? I have no experience with long tracks.

I have thought about picking up old tundra to putz around in woods, and then use money for something for trails. I just don't know if I feel screwing another old machine. I've had my triple's engine on kitchen counter, but these days it would probably sit for awhile.

I spend a lot of time 4 wheeling and thought this could something for winter.

The 16" track is probably pretty capable, but even with a 20", it wouldn't be nearly so good without the low range.

My first choice would be an Exped 20", my second choice, if off-trail were teh priority, would be the Skandic. If trail was my priority, the Exped SP.

The Tundra would be my last choice either way.

#11 alpha77

alpha77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Sled:2016 Expedition SE 900 ACE

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

The 16" track is probably pretty capable, but even with a 20", it wouldn't be nearly so good without the low range.

My first choice would be an Exped 20", my second choice, if off-trail were teh priority, would be the Skandic. If trail was my priority, the Exped SP.

I don't have the experience of others here (back to snowmobiling after a 30 year break) but my riding in Northern NB is pretty much 50% trail and 50% off trail - usually a mix on any given outing, i.e. off-trail a bit to the trail, some trail then off-trail etc.  I have been very impressed with my 2016 Expy SE 900 ACE.  It has some issues that have been mentioned before like the lame Pilot DS-2 skis (I just put on Polaris Pro-Floats this season and so far they are awesome) and the overall "big sled" feel but it is a strong machine.  I love the ability to just stop, back out, pick another line and go.  Not the "open throttle" mountain sled approach but a more quiet, reduced spin, back to nature approach.  I can comfortably run 100-110 km/h on trail and nice and slow off trail - the 2-speed gearbox is a winner and I can carry tons of gear.  I've also hauled a few sleds back home with no problems.

Overall very pleased to date.

#12 AvalancheAK

AvalancheAK

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts
  • Interests:Boats & snowmachines, and anything outside..
  • Sled:Expy 1200 & 900X, ACE SWT & Expy Sport

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

X5 or where ever it's at now on the Exped LE/SE 900.  Pretty hard or impossible to beat for a do it all machine.  You'll be amazed at what you can do with a 20" wide and low range yet how comfy for trail cruising and getting some speed.

2017 Expedition 900 X, 2015 Expedition 1200 X, 2013 XU SWT ACE, 2011 V800 SWT, 2011 Expedition Sport 600ACE, 2008 Expedition TUV V800, 2006 Arctic Cat M7 163", 1997 AC Panther 440f/c, several Tundra LTs, 1995 Indy Lite (x2), 1968-9-70 Suzuki Nomads (x 3.5), & assorted.

www.thegrandadventure.co
www.facebook.com/grandadventurefilm

#13 John Bartley

John Bartley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Woodworking, antique tube radios, large format film photography, small engine repair
  • Sled:2014 Skandic SWT 600ACE

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:23 PM

One of the reasons I went with the Skandic is that the front end has no place to trap snow. My old Panther had the typical A-arms that were always getting packed with snow, getting branches trapped in them when I went dipsy-doodling thru' the bush and were digging into the snow when I got a bit adventurous at slow speed.  The front bottom of the Skandic is made like a toboggan so it rides up onto the snow and it doesn't dig in.

I have the 600ACE in my SWT. I can't comment on if it's underpowered or not, but on the trail it will do a steady 70 to 80 kmph no problem. That said I wouldn't run my SWT on the trail at high speed for long. It's just not made for that. The 600ACE is NLA in the SWT, but can still be had in the WT. 

I think if I was looking for a good compromise sled I'd get the Skandic WT with a 600ACE.

That's my $0.05 - it's worth what ya' paid for it :)

#14 Berserker

Berserker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:25 PM

Why not tundra? I see more of them then skandic.

Does expedition have low gear? Do all ace motors?

600 vs 900?

#15 Newfiebullett

Newfiebullett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:37 PM

Why not tundra? I see more of them then skandic.

Does expedition have low gear? Do all ace motors?

600 vs 900?

The wide tracks have 2 speed tranny's. The 16" sleds don't.

As for why not the Tundra, it's just such a narrow focus, targeted sled. The skinny track means it's not the best at low speed plodding around in deeep snow, but it doesn't have the power to be ridden on the throttle like a Summit. The lack of low range means it's not a good creeper as well.

And on the trail, it's so narrow, tall and tippy, that's it can't be ridden comfortably at any kind of speed. 

As I said, I have no idea about your local snow conditions. If you get regualr freeze/thaw cycles that create a great solid base under a foot of powder, a Tundra might be able to go everywhere a Skandic can go. But where I live, most people think of the 20" track as the compromise, and the 24 incher as the sled to have for serious off-trail exploring. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users