• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#91 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, Motorcycles, Biking, Hiking, Firearms, Long walks on the beach.
  • Sled:07 Summit 800r

Posted 10 January 2017 - 11:50 PM

Sorry about the wait. I have been sick and sick again plus the holidays, etc. 

So this is where I am. CoDooster stopped by house for a little visit. Real cool guy. He helped show me how to take some things apart and recommended new pistons and rings.  His compression gauge tested 90.   He also suggested that while the engine was apart to look at the cranks. So I am now trying to remove the engine from the sled body. There are two screws on the left and right. I got the left and right front out. The second right screw. And the left second screw just spins. I can see this rod turning when I spin the bolt and I cant reach it with pliers . How do I get the last bolt out to pull the motor?

#92 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 13,995 posts
  • Sled:2007 MXZ Renegade 1000 SDI

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:23 AM

You will need to screw the other two bolts with grease on the threads then unscrew the stubborn ones and last the ones with grease.

Glad to see you got good help with a house call :).

#93 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Snowboarding, Motorcycles, Biking, Hiking, Firearms, Long walks on the beach.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:28 PM

I will try to grease up the last one tonight.

#94 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:43 PM

Grease did not work. 

#95 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 13,995 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:31 AM

I will need to take a closer look tomorrow on an engine that I have. I had this trouble last season and got nervous with one bolt not coming loose. I remember having to play with the other bolt, but the memory is a funny thing. If push comes to shove you may need to drill a hole to insert a locking pin to keep it from spinning.

Edit: The rod still spins with the other bolt in?

Edited by Daag44, 17 January 2017 - 05:33 AM.

#96 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

With two bolts in one rod, it does not spin. 

Once you remove one bolt, then the rod spins. Even when the last bolt was greased up. 

#97 Daag44

Daag44

Advanced Member

• DOOCrew
  • 13,995 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:03 PM

It is the same problem when removing stubborn bolts from the rear wheels. This is why I now always apply grease on the threads, but obviously it is not helping your case.

The bolt that you applied grease to may not be in tight enough to allow the stubborn one to back out. You may need to tighten the grease bolt while having a second pair of hands to back out the stubborn one.

I just checked the 2003 800HO that I have sitting on a bench and it has no rod from one end to the other of the engine mount. I recall having this trouble on an engine with a shaft as you speak of, but I am beginning to question my memory which grows weaker with age. Since you said there were no means to lock the shaft with a common pair of Vise Grips, do you believe that needle nose Vise Grips would reach? If so then buy one and give it a try. I bought one only a few years ago and couldn't believe how often I ended up using it.

If nothing of this works then I am afraid that you will need to resort to a more drastic measure such as the one that I mentioned to drill a pilot hole to lock the rubber mount into the aluminum engine mount hole. At this point we really should compare pictures to ensure that we are speaking the same language.

#98 smurfy71

smurfy71

Heisenberg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts
  • Sled:2004 GSX 600HO SDI, 1994 MX 470

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:28 AM

Are you using an impact gun or just a ratchet?

2004 GSX 600HO SDI

Nun replacement (service bulletin

Shop Manual (ask me for a link)

94 MX 470

#99 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:25 AM

I am back guys.  Record snow falls this year. I missed a whole lot of crazy powder! It been to cold to work in the cold, damp, dark garage. But today the high was in the 40's and got some work done. 

Said F-it to the cranks. I still cant get the bolts out. And that's suppose to be the easy part to do. I just put all the mounting bolts back in.  Did manage to get the pistons off the cranks. Those small rolling pin bearing fell everywhere. I managed to find 40 total.  Does that sound right?

I was getting ready to order a new top end kit from MCB. Someone previously recommended them on this thread. I have a few questions about the parts to order. 

http://mcbperformanc...piston-kit.html

1.  Do I need oiling holes on the pistons?

2.  The gasket selection has an option for Full Professional Kit with Oil Seals.  Do I need this?

3.  Should I do standard coating or permacoat upgrade on the pistons?

The price ranges from $319.95 to $439.95.

#100 Bskredsvig

Bskredsvig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Sled:2007 summit X 151

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:43 AM

Aren't the wrist pin bearings caged? Should be able to count the spaces and see how many you should have. I'm hoping you had rags stuffed around the connecting rods at the crank openings.
If you aren't pulling the bottom end apart, you don't need the full kit with seals.
As for oiling holes, I don't know. But you could call mcb since that's who you're going with and get their recommendations.
2007 Summit X 151
Homemade vents
Coolant temp gauge
Post forward
Skis in
Boss seat
Floating secondary

#101 smurfy71

smurfy71

Heisenberg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:55 AM

I am back guys. Record snow falls this year. I missed a whole lot of crazy powder! It been to cold to work in the cold, damp, dark garage. But today the high was in the 40's and got some work done.

Said F-it to the cranks. I still cant get the bolts out. And that's suppose to be the easy part to do. I just put all the mounting bolts back in. Did manage to get the pistons off the cranks. Those small rolling pin bearing fell everywhere. I managed to find 40 total. Does that sound right?

I was getting ready to order a new top end kit from MCB. Someone previously recommended them on this thread. I have a few questions about the parts to order.

http://mcbperformanc...piston-kit.html

1. Do I need oiling holes on the pistons?
2. The gasket selection has an option for Full Professional Kit with Oil Seals. Do I need this?
3. Should I do standard coating or permacoat upgrade on the pistons?

The price ranges from $319.95 to $439.95.

There are 28 pins in each wrist pin bearing.

2004 GSX 600HO SDI

94 MX 470

#102 Bskredsvig

Bskredsvig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Sled:2007 summit X 151

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:36 AM

^ I had this in my head; either 23 or 28, but didn't want to post an incorrect number. Hence, hoping he had lots of rags stuffed around the base openings.
2007 Summit X 151
Homemade vents
Coolant temp gauge
Post forward
Skis in
Boss seat
Floating secondary

#103 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:08 AM

There are 28 pins in each wrist pin bearing.

I stuck my whole head in there and used magnets. I could turn the cranks fine. And I did not see anymore pins.  Wounder if they could have fallen outside the engine?

Edited by Mr. Lee, 13 February 2017 - 11:10 AM.

#104 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:15 AM

Aren't the wrist pin bearings caged? Should be able to count the spaces and see how many you should have. I'm hoping you had rags stuffed around the connecting rods at the crank openings.
If you aren't pulling the bottom end apart, you don't need the full kit with seals.
As for oiling holes, I don't know. But you could call mcb since that's who you're going with and get their recommendations.

I think I know what you are talking about when you say caged. So the existing pin bearing are not. But the replacement set from MCB are. 

Edited by Mr. Lee, 13 February 2017 - 11:19 AM.

#105 smurfy71

smurfy71

Heisenberg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:26 PM

I think I know what you are talking about when you say caged. So the existing pin bearing are not. But the replacement set from MCB are.

That would be correct.

2004 GSX 600HO SDI

94 MX 470

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users