Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Taking another stab at a trippple ;)

7K views 99 replies 13 participants last post by  sledneck82 
#1 ·
hey guys , been a long time since I've been on here , been keeping my eyes open for another triple , I know it's not preferable , I wanted a 03 , but a good deal came up and couldn't pass it. these sleds are Either super expensive out in Alberta/ Saskatchewan . anyways found a 98 Mach z for 1000$ comes with a donor sled that is complete , picking it up next weekend , done some searches on here . but what are the main issues I should be thinking about taking care of with the 98? I've heard about the harness issue and am eager to check that out , any and all insight would be great ! thanks

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
The oil tank will likely have a seam leak. If not, you are fortunate. The other challenge with the triples of this era is the PTO bearing lubrication problem. There are a number of threads here that discuss the oil hole mod.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

#5 ·
thanks gaboon ! I was really surprised to see a lot of familiar names still on here in this forum .... mikadoo stil on here with the single pipe lol ? btw I've grown up quite a bit since before guys hahah and actually have a good job now , enough to play with a trippple lol ;)!

#13 ·
when I pulled the carbs I could only find one number on the pto side of the main, 310 .... we are at 2200ft above sea level , any idea what I should be at for a baseline on mains and pilot jets ? numbers were scarce , I've never seen carbs so dirty , the speedo says sled is at 10,000km and Rpm gauge not working .... not sure why or where to start on the tach gauge ??? all I know is she rips :)!

#17 ·
I took the pipes off tonight ... man I now remember clearly why most people didn't like these things ... such a pain ! had a quick peak see into the jus , there's some very very light marks on #2 exhaust side but can barely catch finger nail .... these cylinders are nikasil coated correct ? still gotta do a compression test ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
after a bunch of wrenching , got the ol gurl out for a rip on the grass , not sure if it's a so-10-2 or -3 skid but jammed a newer skid in the old girl, skid sure isn't as impressive as I thought it was gonna , but after a quick rip I was pretty much shaking with trippple adrenaline lol !!!! sure seems likes its using a ton of fuel ... thinking the float valves must be passing ??

#21 ·
Yes take the small screw out holding the seat down. Pull them out there is a o-ring around the seat. There is also a screen/filter on the bottom of the seat that needs to be cleaned. I put a bit of oil on the new o-rings to get the seats back in. They push in very snug.

#22 ·
690419517e972353d148090f102cc3b0.jpg

just popped them out , was hoping they'd be in worse shape .... they're not great but not terrible either , anyone know what size they are ? should I look for a new set of valves and seats ?

#25 ·
thanks sleeper for the info ! i tried replacing the orings, just filled up the gas line before work this morning , see if it drops when i get home , if so i guess il have to get new seats and valves

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.