Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

sc 10 3 in 95 summit

986 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  smurfy71 
#1 ·
I picked this 95 summit 583 with reverse and electric start for my wife last fall. I got it so we can do weekends at the cabin and ride the lake and trails. It was great on the lake but aweful on the trail. She quickly kicked me off my XM and left me in the old 583. I think I compressed a few discs in my back from the rough ride lol. In an attempt to get her back on her own sled I found an sc10 3 and some 99 RMK front shocks. At the same time I also picked up myself an 05 mxz renegade 800 but thats a different story. The install of suspension on the 583 went pretty good and even though the mtns near me still have snow I have to wait till next winter to see how much of an improvement there is.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I didnt see any signs that the rear shocks were leaking so i hope the internals are ok. I also have an 02 summit sc10 but i decided to put in the fully coupled suspension since it will never see the mtns. The rear install went ok but adding travel to the front proved to be more difficult. I wound up using the tie rod ends from a yamaha that have a hole for a bolt. Then i could add a half inch spacer to avoid having to trim the boot area. I wanted to keep the sway bar too and it would bind on the the trailing arms. Until i can find a different style sway bar i spread the trailing arms out about half an inch at the rear mount. Maybe not ideal but thinking back to being a teen and doing the hockey puck body lift on my toyota its not the worst thing i ever did.

#6 ·
Nice mod, did you happen to compare the weights of the two skids?

My 95 Summit 583 always felt heavy. I know part of it is the fact that the stock handlebars are so low you have no leverage.

I don't know what the overall wet weight is, but the dry weight is suppose to be around 515 lbs, which is pretty light for a 1995 sled.

I came close to swapping the skids out on mine, but then we found a motor for the donor sled. :(

The old suspension works great at speeds above 40 mph on those bumpy trails, but will beat the heck out of you at anything slower.

That sits higher in the back, so you might have more ski pressure. Something to work out.

#7 ·
I never actually weighed both rear skids but they didnt feel significantly different when i was lifting them around the shop. The front of the sled was also raised by almost 2 inches with the RMK shocks but I am sure i will have a few adjustments to make.

#8 ·
yeah, it almost looks like the track is off the ground up where the front idle is. That equals ski pressure.

A local kid decided to raise the rear of his sled by building brackets and just lowering where it bolts up. That machine steers like crap now. ha ha. Front part of the track doesn't even touch the snow. I told him he'll hit powder and it will just nose dive. Sure enough, it plowed through the snow. track vs skis, in deep snow the track will always win.

#9 ·
True it might be a bit heavy on the steering. I put on new skis too so i have 3 different things going on at the same time lol. New rear skid, new longer front shocks, and new skis. The previous owner had dropped the front mount on the stock c7 about 1 inch. It didnt have much ski pressure and would not steer well like that. Could i use that hole if its too heavy on the skis? Or what about letting the limiter strap out?

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
The limit strap will lighten up the front end but only during acceleration. Lighter spring pressure on the front shocks and a tighter spring on the center (front skid) shock is likely what you'll be doing. You'll have to ride it though to know for sure.

Chec the operators guides here. An 02 guide covers the SC3. Adjustments start an pg 68 or so. Good reading and it will get you right if it's possible with your mods. You can get started by setting sag in your garage. No snow needed.

http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=e&s1=75560dbb-bd6f-4648-97fd-1829cf41c577&brands=skidoo&type=og

#12 ·
I did the exact same mod to my '94 formula. Same skid, same shocks. I set my skid up IAW Maize's instruction located here: http://www.maizekustoms.com/pages/suspension-set-up-instructions.php

I installed a 2" spacer between the eye end and the tie rod with a bolt to match last fall after the shock upgrade; it worked well this past winter.

I didn't re-hook up the sway bar yet, but will work on something this summer to re-hook it up.

#14 ·
I had also picked up an 05 renegade 800 at the same time that was too good a deal to walk away from lol. I am in the process of trying to get all the parts together for e start on it. I was hoping that this would be my trail sled but chances are that if she rides it that i wont get it back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.